I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji SK2 Arbors
Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 04:21PM

Yuck! Ugh! Sheesh! How many other gross noises can I stick in here?

Let me begin by saying that I absolutely LOVE the SK2 reel system. It is perfect in terms of ergonomics. I have never used a more sensitive and comfortable reel seat. However, the arbors that are included leave so much to be desired, in my opinion anyway. As good as the reel seat is, the arbors are just as bad.

The problem with the last ones I got was that their OD was substantially smaller than the ID of the reel seat they were supposed to match up with. As hard as I tried to get the arbors centered, they ended up gluing off-axis. My reaming was perfect but lopsided obviously as the axis was off from the start.

Now that I think about it, this is not the first problem I have had with Fuji arbors. I've also had problems with the ones I ordered for my VSS reel seat. From now on I'll just order one of the more common, full size third-party arbors whenever I purchase a Fuji reel seat. I'll just cut them and fit them to size. Those always fit perfectly and I've yet to have a problem with them.

What are your opinions on these arbors? Anybody else have any problems?

---Carlos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji SK2 Arbors
Posted by: Lance Dupre (107.77.80.---)
Date: July 31, 2014 05:04PM

Toss them out and use Flex Coats size 16 arbor. They fit perfect every time.

Date: July 31, 2014 05:41PM

Heck yeah! Good call. That's what I ended up ordering. I've never had a problem with the Flex Coats or even the other generic ones. It just really makes me mad knowing that I now have to pay c.a. $5 worth shipping for a $1.50 part thanks to the underwhelming components my reel seat came with. The worst part is the wait over the mail.

Grrr. Lesson learned.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 05:47PM

Save them They will fit something -- Later

I like Pac Bay Arbors If too small I get a larger and turn to fit

They are also Black and don't show much

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 01, 2014 10:01AM

SK2 arbors are a pain in the butt because they are a little different from other Fuji seats. We have an arbor number NKC16C that is a special arbor for a discontinued seat. Occasionally, orders come in wrong or are filled wrong and there are a number of those arbors floating around from the past which have been accidentally substituted for an NKC16.

The size 16 SK2 spinning and casting bodies require an NKC16 arbor. These arbors need to shortened by 1/4 of an inch to allow for the shouldered fit of the SK2 winding checks (WCS)

The size 17 SK2 spinning and casting require an NKC18. It's a very tight fit but requires only finger pressure and offers a perfectly centered fit. It too needs to be shortened by 1/4 inch.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2014 10:18AM

Jim,

Why doesn't Fuji Japan wise up and correct the SK2 Arbor issue?

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: August 01, 2014 10:38AM

Thank you for the information and honesty, Jim. As a die hard fuji aficionado, I appreciate that. I honestly have no problem crafting my own arbors out of the flex coat/pacbay/mudhole ones. I would have just preferred if it weren't included so I at least had the chance to complete my build on time and without issues.

As much as I love the casting seat though, the arbors are really not that big of an issue. I'll just wait for the replacement I ordered to come in through the mail. I love these dang seats!

---Carlos

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2014 12:15PM

Carlos

Since you like them why not get a bunch of the arbors so you have them on hand Both sizes ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 01, 2014 05:27PM

Thanks Bill, that's what I'm going to do next time I order one!

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2014 02:12PM

I do the same, oder extra size 16 arbors, cut them to fit the SK2, throw the stock ones in a drawer, never know when they'll come in handy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster