I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira Thread
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 12:05PM

Would like to try some Madeira is the polyneon the only one recommended for rod building?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira Thread
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 09:59PM

The polyneon 40 is what most people use. I have never tried the 60. I use the 40 in all of my weaves and some under wraps.

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2014 02:18AM

Just make sure you seal it well prior to putting finish on or you will get fish eyes. Silicone in the thread. I do 2 coats color preserver and one coat of one of the urethanes(cpxtra or permagloss).

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: August 01, 2014 10:40AM

Tim every once in a while I see something posted that gets my attention. You wrote " I do 2 coats color preserver and one coat of one of the urethanes(@#$%& or permagloss)." This is a new one on me. Are you putting an Epoxy (Flex Coat etc..) on after the urethane?
If so please explain. I missed the boat on this one.

Gabe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2014 01:15PM

I think that might have been a referral to a non-sponsor product.

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2014 02:53PM

Randolph got it. The other urethane is a non sponsored product. Yes Gabe, this is the prep work I do prior to applying the epoxy. Another trick that works is after applying color preserver and giving it the 12 hours or so dry time and you are ready to apply epoxy, cut a 2" or so piece of madeira thread and put it in with the epoxy and then mix up like you normally would do. Don't ask me how this
works but it does prevent the fish eye thing from happening. I do use this on occasion but the urethane thing works for me. Sorry for any confusion.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2014 11:04AM

The scramble out has nothing to do with it being a non sponsor's product.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.hawkins.tx.cebridge.net)
Date: August 08, 2014 10:25AM

I have used a lot of Madeira #40 polyneon, and I have ever had a problem with fisheyes with or without CP. I do brush it with DNA before I coat it though, maybe that helps. I guess what I didn't know just hasn't hurt me yet.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 09, 2014 12:53PM

I too use a lot of Madeira thread. Only 1 coat of CP with at least 8 hrs of dry time before I apply flex coat. Never had any problems with fish eyes as long as my CP is evenly coated. Hey Tim, have you ever had any problems with the epoxy bonding to the urethane? I tried putting one on top of the other to cover a hat pin that I inlaid into a fighting butt and it peeled off like latex paint. Didn't know if it was a bonding issue, if it was contaminated or if there was some type of prep work that I unknowingly skipped between products. Any ideas?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster