I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap wire line trolling rod
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 31, 2014 11:58AM

I know that mono and braid does not pile up to one send on a level wind reel when using spiral wrapped guides. Any problems with wire line piling up? I dont think there should be but looking for someone who has experience with wire line and spiral wrapped guides just to be sure. thanks buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap wire line trolling rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2014 01:29PM

Actually mono and braid can and sometimes do pile up to one side on a spiral wrapped rod. It all depends on the spiral method used and what you're pulling. When this is a problem folks tend to offset the butt guide to the side opposite the rest of the guides are spiraled to, ensuing that the line enters the reel from the true 0 degree axis, which relieves some pressure from the level wind mechanism.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 05:17PM

As Mr. Kirkman suggests, if the line tends to pile on one side of the reel, off set your butt guide to one side or the other, depending on how the line is stacking on the reel.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 05:51PM

Set your guides on With handle Done
Put your reel on with line Ty on a fare amount of weight to the line and retreave it -- Several times -- Adjust the guides to fit the reel
I ty line to my railing Take a walk Then retreve the line with good pressor You will see where the line goes on the reel

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 01, 2014 09:53AM

The length of the rod would, for me, be a key consideration in whether to do a spiral on a wire-line trolling rod. Wire line, more than any other kind of line used on fishing rods, hates abrupt transitions, so a method like the simple spiral, which works great with both braid and mono, would be a lousy idea on a spiral rod. You want any and all transitions in guide placement to be gradual, to try to avoid bends, kinks and other nasties in the wire line.

And this is where rod length comes in. If you're dealing with a 9-foot bunker spoon trolling rod, a spiral is a cinch, because the rod is long enough to allow you to very gradually get the guides to the bottom axis of the rod. Doing this on a six-foot rod, though, is going to be tricky.

For what it's worth, the last few times I build a wire-line trolling rod, I thought about doing a spiral, and decided not to. I'm sure a spiral can work on them, but fishing with wire is a pain, and dealing with line transitioning from the top of the blank to the bottom was something I didn't want to have to deal with (why introduce this variable if you don't have to?). A guides-on-top setup works just fine, after all, and though I am a fervent philosophical supporter of spirals in just about every case, this is one where I didn't think the benefits of the spiral were worth the potential headaches. It just seemed simpler to me to build conventional (guides-on-top), and forget about it. Those who have actually built a spiral wire line rod (I haven't) may disagree with me on this.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2014 10:30AM

The Simple Spiral doesn't have any abrupt line path changes - it provides the straightest line path of any of the spiral systems, which was it's point to begin with - there is no transition for the line to make.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 01, 2014 01:20PM

Ok, thanks Tom, Chris, Roger, that was a big help. i will offset the first guide and do some testing. Appreciate that.

Bill.... I have no idea what you are talking about.......................

Buzz

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2014 03:01PM

tape the guides on With the reel on string it up Tie the line to a heavy object
Retreve the line and as it goes on the reel you will see where it stacks Adjust as needed several times
Simple

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2014 01:13PM

I almost exclusively build freshwater spiral wrap trolling rods for mono, braid, wire, and copper lines. The guide style and ring material may vary with the line, user preference and budget, but proper spacing and orientation of guides is accomplished the same way regardless of the type of line used.

If you plan to use a levelwind reel and target fish that have the capability to remove most (or nearly all) of the line from the reel, then I strongly recommend you simulate a reel empty/refill under full drag load to confirm the rear guide placement and angle orientation will interact with the reel's levelwind in a manner that is acceptable to the user.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster