I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

graphite blank - hollow ferrules?
Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.38.103-23.newsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 11:57AM

I have a question regarding a graphite blank I am building on. It appears the blank has hollow ferrules, i.e. there is no plug in the blank section ends at the ferrules?
Has anyone ever used a blank that had the same? If so, how did you handle this?
Thank you,

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: graphite blank - hollow ferrules?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2014 12:13PM

You can fill the top of the male ferrule opening with a piece of EVA, or squeeze of dob of RodBond in there. A properly sized cork plug will work too.

Not all have it, and it's not required, but it does add a bit of hoop strength at that particular point so many blank makers recommend and/or install one.

Date: July 30, 2014 12:49PM

Okay Tom, Thank you, this is the first blank that I've built that didn't include the solid male ferrule end. I didn't realize some manufacturers did that!

Tim

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 12:56PM

Have a couple of Sages' that do not have plugs.
I like plugs to keep dirt out.
I use Goop or 6000 squeezed into male ferrule and set Goop side down on plastic wrap to cure
Herb

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 05:00PM

I use the two part plumbers putty. Just a pinch worked together and jammed in there. Let dry over night and good to go.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 05:12PM

There is no need for a plug, the male section is already re-enforced by the female section which is generally re-enforced by wrapping.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 06:41PM

Like Herb, if they are open, I plug them with rod bond. The only purpose I can see is to keep dirt out, as most of the manufacturers that do fill them only do so about 1/4".

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 07:30PM

There is a reason for a plug, as Herb and Phil mentioned it keep dirt and foreign matter out.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2014 07:40PM

And, to provide hoop strength on the end of the open "tube." If the female section loosens and slides out at all and the rod is flexed, you can see cracks develop on the open end of a male ferrule section.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 10:14PM

Another thing I have noticed is the rod doesn't come apart as easy. Makes for a better vaccum. I usually just use a piece of foam glued in there an old sandal works well lol.

Date: August 01, 2014 10:34AM

I ended up fitting a piece of cork into the butt section and used rod bond with the cork and other sections.
Thanks to all for the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster