I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to find the spine?
Posted by: Logan Derrick (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 01:19AM

Hey Guys,

So I just got my first blank in today and I've read about how to find the spine on the blank, but I don't really understand. I took it out of the package and stood it up on the floor and put a hand on the tip and pushed on the side of it with my other hand and the rod bends obviously, but I don't get how that finds the spine. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to find the spine?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 01:48AM

there are spine finders at most of the jobbers on the left , the spine is as the rods are made it will be thicker on one side
then the other, will bend one way easy er than the other, the better the rod the harder to find , get the spine finder it is worth the money I think
some buildesr don't use it at all an just build on the strightest line,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 03:15AM

Many builders put the guides on the straightest axis of the blank. It can be found by putting the blank on a flat surface like a table. The blank will roll to a stable position where the belly of the curve is down and tip is up. The guides go on the bottom for spinning, fly, and spiral after the transition from the top and all on top for conventional casting rods. Doing a "Search" for prior discussions on using or not using the spine for building may also help.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 09:19AM

Check out this video, it might help you:
[www.youtube.com]

Here's another shorter video:
[www.youtube.com]

The new CRB Spine finder is also available at:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 09:53AM by Mud Hole Custom Tackle.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 11:14AM

Finding and building on the "spine" is a carry over from when the spine in blanks was both very noticeable and strong. With today's modern blanks it is less noticeable and almost irrelevant. It has no measurable effect on casting or fighting a fish.

Building on the straightest axis provides for a straight line of sight down the guides which can be very important to many custom rod buyers.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 27, 2014 11:26AM

Good Morning Logan (here in Oregon),
When I first began building rods in the late 1950s, finding the spine and building on the spine was the Holy Grail. In more modern times rod builders and rod blank manufacturers have found that the spine has little or no effect on how the rod functions. The effect of guides, thread, and epoxy finish is much greater than that of the spine.
To get an idea of what causes a spine take a jumbo burrito tortilla and role it up. The end of the roll is slightly thicker than at other places on the role. That is where you find the spine of the rolled tortilla. The same is true for a rod blank except it is far more complex because of the way the graphite "cloth" is cut and shaped.

As others have already advised, simply find the straightest axis and build on that. Good luck with your project.
Mike Blomme

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 12:29PM

what I found out was to sit i a chair and take the blank and lay it across both thighs with butt end at one hold blank down with one hand and push tip end down with other hand and roll across our high you can fell were the spine is when you roll it back and forth. no need for spine finder.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2014 04:57PM

What I learned to do was hold the blank by the butt with the tip on the floor and extended away from me at about a 45 degree angle to the floor. Gently apply pressure as close to the middle of the blank length as you can reach. The blank will roll to one side or the other.
I mark that side with a grease pencil or a 1/4 inch piece of masking tape. Then I release the pressure and roll the blank a bit and do it all over again.

I keep this up until I find the spot where , under pressure as described above, the blank rolls to consistently.

Once you get the hang of it, it only takes a few minutes.

Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 05:15PM

I've been converted to building on the straightest axis by reading Tom Kirkman's article. As soon as you put guides on a rod and apply any pressure with line, the spine becomes completely irrelevant.

Plus, building on the straightest axis makes lining up guides a heck of an easier task.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 05:16PM

When I roll my burrito and place one end on the floor, it kinda collapses with pressure in various directions. I'm not getting something here....

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 06:46PM

Ya got to fry it so it gets hard Then it rolls better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 06:46PM

To answer your question without commenting on whether or not the spine is important or not, the easiest way to find the spine is to put the butt of the rod on a hard flat surface and with the upper portion in one hand, rotate the rod with enough pressure to make it bend. As it rotates you will find a spot where the blank will try to "jump" either one direction or the other. That is the spine of the rod. You can mark it either on a piece of masking tape that you previously placed around the blank or with a crayon or china pencil. Then check that mark as to the straightest sighting of the blank when you look down it from butt to tip. Not going to recommend what you do from that point on. Too many opinions either way.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 27, 2014 06:47PM

Well Gee Whiz Eric,
I just meant it as an illustration so one could see how it occurs. LOL.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 07:07PM

eric if you are going to roll your burrito on the floor, you probably shouldn't eat it!!

Date: July 27, 2014 07:39PM

Ok, don't use a burrito, fried or regular style (i wasn't hungry anyway)

Randolph has it right. Even the first part he alludes to if you read between the lines. There's no need to purchase a "spine finder."

See FAQ starting with #2: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Keep in mind that you test each section individually. "The OUTSIDE of this curve is referred to as the "effective spine" and should be marked for reference." Read all items from #2-#6 but especially #6. You and I, Logan, are working with fly rods.

Personally, i no longer place much importance on using the spine though i may try to find it first, or not.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: ken khoo (---.151-142-203.dynamic.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 27, 2014 07:44PM

Depends on how clean his floor is, if he just disinfect it he'll be ok. After all our pets readily gulp whatever we drop on the floor and they're ok as are babies.

Seriously, I have more problems determining where the top half's ferrule comfortably sits into the bottom half as not all ferrules are made absolutely cylindrical unlike metal ferrules. I had a rod once that moved under fishing pressure showing me that alignment was not correct. My other rods never demonstrated that problem

Date: July 27, 2014 07:48PM

There is NO reson to find the spine -- At All
It has been said here Years ago that it make no difference in the performance of the rod
Your guides will not move as Guides on a spinning rod will not Turn Upward - Yes there was a post that this happened - Impossible

Try a Search On Spine - and you will come up with a lot of reading on the subject
if there is a slight curve in the blank just put that pointing upward and build

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2014 08:36PM

There are opinions, and then there are facts. Spine importance has no facts - only opinion and conjecture. The opposite is supported by the laws of physics.

Date: July 27, 2014 09:17PM

And those opinions and conjecture are supported by decades of (mis?)information. It's a tough, endless battle.

One thing I DO know, I am equally, nay, GLORIOUSLY unsuccessful, getting skunked when built-on, opposite or disregarding the location of guides in relation to the effective spine. :)

(i'm just truly amazed that nobody has referred to it inaccurately as the spline. whew!)

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 09:19PM by eric zamora.

Date: July 27, 2014 09:40PM

OK Tom

What the heck does that statment mean

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster