I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aftco Unibutt Ferrule Adhesion
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2014 12:15PM

I have asked this in the past and have followed the recommendations of using Rod Bond along with Dry Wall tape to make the connection between blank and ferrule. I am using a size 2 ferrule and a blank that is only 5/8 inch in diameter so I have lots of space to build up. Two factors are a concern to me. First, is the build up using rod bond and dry wall tape still the recommended method? Second, with this much build up it is sometimes difficult to make sure that the blank ends up perfectly centered and in a straight line with the blank. My method of alignment is to mount the blank onto my rod wrapping machine and while turning it, make the adjustments to where there is little or no wobble. Does anyone else have a favorite method for doing all this? My main concern is that the connection is the strongest that I can make it. The rod will be used for extreme fishing under extremely high drag settings ( ie 40 - 65 lbs of drag ) and will really be testing the rod to the extreme limits using 200 lb line). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aftco Unibutt Ferrule Adhesion
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2014 03:00PM

I believe in this instance, I would use fiberglass cloth instead of dry wall tape. Just make sure the cloth is fully impregnated with epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2014 03:41PM

Randy

Why not graphite arobers - not strong enough ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2014 03:58PM

If you want the strongest possible assembly, and this may be overkill if what you're doing now is working okay for you, is to sleeve the rod blank butt with scrap carbon or glass tubing (old rod blank). This might take 2 sleeves, depending on their thickness and/or how much space you have to take up. RodBond or any common 2-part liquid epoxy is fine for this and you find the latter to be better when you have a very close fit.

Once the sleeve has been mounted, it will still have a little taper to it so you'll have to sand or cut it square to perfectly fit the Unibutt. This is easily done by inserting a shaft or another blank section into the rod butt and chucking that into your lathe, then block sanding the sleeve level until it's a close slip fit into the Unibutt. Bond with epoxy and that's it.

All bonds should be prefaced by a water break free surface prep on all mating surfaces.

Date: July 25, 2014 04:10PM

Tom

I would also thing that a good prep - inside and outside of any sections that are needed to get the correct size fit
I understand that the inside of any blank has a release agent so they come off the arbor they were made on So that will have to be Cleaned Well for adhesion

Thought about this long ago - just never did it

I do like the idea - With A Good Prep of the sections for adhesion

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 25, 2014 04:46PM

I will look through my supply of cut butts to see if I can find something to fit. I would suppose that if I can get it close, then the dry wall mesh can be used on a limited basis.

Date: July 25, 2014 04:55PM

Just for the heck of it
Call Afco And ask them what thye recamend ??
I still wonder if graphite will give you a GOOD adhesion if done right and is a lot easier to use

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2014 05:01PM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 25, 2014 05:44PM

I have sent an email to Greg Stotesbury of Aftco already but have not yet received a response. I would be interested in why do they make the ferrule so short and if they lengthen it, would it make it stronger?
I am awaiting the shipment of the blank and the ferrule so I will not be able to do anything until next week when all the parts arrive.

Date: July 25, 2014 05:45PM

I have sent an email to Greg Stotesbury of Aftco already but have not yet received a response. I would be interested in why do they make the ferrule so short and if they lengthen it, would it make it stronger?
I am awaiting the shipment of the blank and the ferrule so I will not be able to do anything until next week when all the parts arrive.

Date: July 25, 2014 07:58PM

Greg at Aftco recommended using a bushing turned from hickory or other hard wood. He also mentioned using a piece of butt section as a bushing. I don't have a lathe so I guess I will try the second alternative. Thanks everyone

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2014 07:34AM

Bill,

No, a longer butt ferrule wouldn't make it stronger. Once you go beyond a certain length in the particular structure involved, you're just wasting effort and material.

Date: July 26, 2014 11:52AM

Tom

You mean Mel

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 28, 2014 11:50AM

Thanks everyone. As usual, I think that I have the answer. I will go with the alternative of adding a section of blank as a bushing. I guess I need to visit a few shops to see what they may have laying around.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster