I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good cheap fly blank to start with?
Posted by: Logan Derrick (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 06:46PM

I'm building my first rod here soon and I'm getting all the parts together. I had a rod on @#$%& in mind. It's a Fish Creek 9' 4wt 4pc for $35.00. I'm looking for a 9' 4wt 4pc that's cheap for a first build. Would that be a good one to start with or do you guys have some other recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good cheap fly blank to start with?
Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 06:48PM

I would look at any of our Rainshadow Rx6 line. Go to www.rainshadowrodblanks.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 10:27PM

Logan, you could head over to get bit outdoors (link in left column) and get a IF904 for $15 more. Rainshadow is one of the biggest names around BTW (and I never heard of fish creek). You are getting a great blank at a cut rate price only because they are introducing a new line. If you "must" have a 4 pc they have one but you will pay more.

Short of that my best fly rod buys have been when Utmost enterprises had rainshadow RX7/RX8's on closeout. Haven't seen any in quite awhile so I'd grab the one from get bit quick.

Nothing wrong with RX6.....just RX7 takes you from okay/nice range to good/great range.

Next best deal might be MHX from mudhole.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-133.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 11:59PM

Don't forget the PAC bay line up. Tradition II is lighter, a bit faster and less expensive than the rx6. Rainforest is comparable to the rx7 but less and the Quickline is better than the rx8 in my opinion and less expensive.
T

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 09:00AM

Buy from the sponsors on the left, they will even talk to you about your best choice at the lowest price, we know them to be reliable and honest. Do you know anything about the seller on the @#$%& site? Nothing is cheap if you have to pay for it, the sponsors on the left will make sure you get your money's worth regardless of how much you spend. Can't understand why some folks just don't get it. Several years ago, I once bought a bunch of no spec freshwater blanks from that place with eyes wide open knowing it might be all junk. and was still disappointed, still have a few of them left.

Read all you can about rod building, it's not rocket science, to me, the main skill is patience. My first rod build was on a St Croix AVID blank, hardly a cheap blank, never regretted it, if you follow the many tutorials available for free you will produce a rod you can be proud of. Why would you put all of that work and effort into probably an inferior blank starting point. If you want to practice go pick up a straight stick from the back yard. Sorry for the rant, but newbies seem to come into the hobby with an inferiority complex, do your homework first, then go at it. You didn't take tests in school without studying. Also, have fun.

Posted by: william jensen (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 09:11AM

For that price I've built some from Ye Olde English Fly Shop and love the rods.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 09:31AM

Angler's Roost has a nice blank at $29.95. It reminds me of the old Tiger Eye blanks. Only issue I have with them is the Angler's Roost logo comes on the blank, so you don't have the option of putting in on or not.

I agree with the comment about if you are going to put so much work into a rod, why not start with a good blank, however, starting with a decent lower priced blank does take some of the stress out of building the first rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 09:35AM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 09:50AM

Bob, my comment wasn't about starting with an expensive blank but to use the sponsors on the left, as they will get the best blank for the money you want to spend, whether $30 or $130. I choose an AVID probably because I didn't know better at the time. I had been working at a chain retailer at the time were we were able to get St. Croix products at 1/2 of retail and I bought St. Croix AVID rods, loved them so I thought I'd start rod building with an AVID blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 10:00AM

Spend some time looking at the sponsers Look for Specials - Discontinued- and Sales

Or just call and ask

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 12:12PM

Ray: Actually, I was agreeing with you. I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't go overboard with the first blank. With a decent inexpensive blank, you are less likely to be upset with mistakes and you can still end up with a good rod, particularly in the 4wt class.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 11:42PM

My first rod took me a year to build. I took my time making it plus I built all of my own tools to make it. Rod dryer, wrapper, and so on. I am still using the same stuff today but have made a few small improvements. My first blank was a Janns Netcraft fiberglass blank. its an eight foot spinning rod blank that also makes a 5/6wt fly rod. Its a two piece. Still fish this rod today. I have a thing for fiberglass though. They have them for $18.79 if your interested. I actually spent more on the Batson grips I bought for it since it was before I invested in a lathe.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.mrqt.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2014 05:24PM

Logan,
Good and cheap are normally opposites.
Most expensive blanks are good to excellent.
Average price blanks may range from poor to excellent.
Cheap blanks are normally poor. The exception can be found ,but it is the exception.
Why waste time and energy attempting to be cheap.
Practice on old non used blanks.
Build a good rod with a good blank and be proud of your first. You will know the errors but it won't stop being a good start.
Spending a lot of time on a poor blank will not improve it's weakness as a fishing tool.

Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 05:40PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 05:40PM

First thing, as others mentioned, it would be nice to support the sponsors to the left for supplies. I believe that would help Tom continue running this web site.

second, a good inexpensive blank is the Batson RX6. I've wrapped a couple with their 7'6' 4 piece 4wt blank and it really fishes well, particularly well with roll casts. and the blue is a nice color. i have no experience with their 9 foot offerings but i THINK i've read that with the lower tech materials, the longer rod blanks can feel a bit heavier than similar offerings from other companies. anybody know off-hand?

other suggestions are spot on for PacBay's Rainforest II and Tradition II when it comes to price, also include American Tackle's Matrix series. It may come down to which color you like best.

and as others have said, don't overlook the closeout blanks for your first time from sponsors like utmost. It's very easy to call them and others and see what they have not listed.

i've worked with Donart, Bingham and Utmost in the past and they've been really helpful. A chat on the phone can offer up recommendations for guides and such too. for an example of a competitive price with added guarantee from Pac Bay, and i choose this supplier just as an example, Donart offers the IM6-based Pac Bay Tradition 9' 4wt 4pc for $3 more than your Fish Creek. Pac Bay offers a warranty/guarantee on their blanks. The Fish Creek you mentioned may be an offering from TL Johnson, a reputable name in the fly fishing world (i'm guessing here from clues), but a similar @#$%& i found for a 9' 4-4 listed "No Warranty."

PS, Some sources like you found may be offering up blanks from the sources I listed above but just under their own name.

Logan, in the end, don't let indecision with this first step hold off the start of a great hobby. Go for it! Did you get that Fish Creek? I see you posted another topic about finding the spine... the butt and tip top specs plus the "matrix material" on the butt section from the @#$%& listing i found match up with the AT Matrix blank specs from American Tackle's site.

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 05:45PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Ben Elliott (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2014 07:13AM

Fish creek is Tl Johnson's offshore line of blanks.

Ben

Posted by: Ben Elliott (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2014 07:13AM

Fish creek is Tl Johnson's line of blanks that are rolled offshore.

Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 07:14AM by Ben Elliott.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster