I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Arbors on saltwater rod seat
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 01:52PM

I know it's not the popular way here, but I use masking tape arbors on most all my freshwater and light saltwater rods and never had a problem. I do get epoxy all around the edges of the tape arbor and try to size the seat so that the arbors are never really large in diameter. Now I need to build up some arbors for a heavy duty boat rod that is going to use an AFTCO #2 seat. I planned to use full one inch wide tape and use four arbors. On this blank I will have to take up maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch all around the blank between the seat. Am I risking trouble? I might can see the wisdom in using the harder foam arbors on a heavier rod like this but if others here use tape on these type rods and have had good service from them I might still go that way. What say you? Thanks.

RJH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Arbors on saltwater rod seat
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 02:20PM

Use fiberglass tape, beats masking tape 10 to 1 on days ending in "Y".

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 02:41PM

On some thing heavy I would think graphite arbors Large ones Shaped on a lath to fit any ID then bored out to fit the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john backos (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 03:12PM

I use drywall mesh tape in one inch wide strips with a 2" strip underneath where the reel seat is, especially if there is a reel clamp.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 04:09PM

IMHO the main advantage of the foam arbors is weight reduction. Also makes cutting reel seat off easier!

I'd vote for the drywall mesh as the strongest. Always wondered how fiberglass cloth would work out. Boy I can picture the mess I'd make with that (another reason for foam arbors).

Masking tape has stood the test of time. I'd worry more about blank and reel seat prep. I like to get the finish off the blank and use a rat tail file to get some scratches inside the seat.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 05:39PM

Go with masking tape arbors. You will have 0 issues and you will be on the water with the rod in a jiffy.

Be safe

Date: July 24, 2014 07:36AM

Prep the inside of the seat and the blank so you get a good adhesion

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 09:18AM

I know this is opinion but I cannot understand why drywall tape is not recognized as the superior method on heavy duty rods over masking tape. Weight is not and issue and with dry wall you have complete adhesion between the blank and the real seat whereas with masking tape the adhesion is only at the points where the masking tape touches the blank. Masking tape is nothing more than paper with a sticky backing and even though it works I'll stick (pun intended) with dry wall tape.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Date: July 24, 2014 09:56AM

It is not the tape that adhers the seat to the blank It is the space between the tape Where the blank is preped and the seat is preped that makes the seat adhere to the blank The adhesive holding the seat to the blank
Then again if I have to wrap tape more then 10 turns about that - It is time for a better fitting seat or an arbor - or the drywall tape if preffered

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster