I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How old is a Lamiglas 5807 blank?
Posted by: Kurt Lueneburger (172.56.40.---)
Date: July 23, 2014 02:23AM

I've been asked to build a rod using an older Lamiglas blank. The question is, "how old is this blank?" The one-piece, 8-foot, fiberglass (e-glass?) blank is honey-colored. The rectangular label has "Lamiglas" printed in white on a black background, with small lettering in the foot of the "L" that reads "Kent Wash." Under the Lamiglas lettering is a white space stamped with the numeral "5807." There are no other initials or lettering identifying the style of blank. The original owner of the blank assumed the blank was in his family's possession since at least 1980.

First question: given the limited information I've provided, are there any estimates of when this blank was manufactured?

Second question: did Lamiglas historically use a specific color scheme on their rods in the estimated timeframe this blank was manufactured?

I thought it would be cool to build a rod true to history of Lamiglas. I would also feel really bad if I screwed up an opportunity to build a special rod. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How old is a Lamiglas 5807 blank?
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 09:24AM

Kurt,
Lamiglas didn't change the model numbers of their blanks until the early 80's. That blank could have been manufactured any time between 1970 and 1980 as the blank facility didn't move from Kent to Woodland until 1981. Being as Lamiglas was initially a blank manufacturer and didn't start building rods until the mid 70's there was from what I had seen only one color scheme on the honey blanks. This was generally chestnut thread with gold collars or inlays. On the S glass it was usually a mahogany or plum color thread.
What you would have found on the Lamiglas rods was an aluminum slim seat some with and some without the logo on them. I have seen these seats on an internet @#$%& site on occasion. In fact I just threw a bunch away a few weeks ago while moving because my wife was tired of packing them around the country.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 25, 2014 04:04PM

Have you checked with Lamiglas?

Posted by: Kurt Lueneburger (172.56.38.---)
Date: July 25, 2014 07:09PM

Thanks, Todd! That's some good information. Appreciate it.

I have tried to send some emails with a photo of the label to the general contact information listed on their website, but haven't received a response yet. *sigh*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster