I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Microwave Guides
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 04:08PM

So, let's say you're going to built the best casting spinning rod possible. 7ft., 8-14lb. mono, 1/4 to 5/8 oz. lure. Does it get Microwave guides or not? Thanks, Lynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave Guides
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2014 04:50PM

Yes if you want the best.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 04:51PM

For me, the best of the best, at this point in time = Fuji Titanium Torzite.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 05:03PM

WHY
What makes them the best

Will it do any better then Alconite or SIC I don't think so

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 05:26PM

Lynn some people like Microwave, some people like KR Concept, some people like NGC, some people like 27X, some people like Cone of Flight, some people like charts. Have I left anybody out?
Anybody want to discuss religion? How about politics? Anybody?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 05:53PM

I like Pac Bay Minima 4 guides.

Date: July 22, 2014 06:16PM

Yep
make enough products -- You will catch the builders that NEAD the new thing

Weather it performs or not
Even if it is the Opposite of what you just made

I guess Business is Business Make those Benjamen's Guess that is ALL that Matters

VERY SAD

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 06:27PM

Bill is pretty much right. Most products that come out are designed to catch rodbuilders and fishermen. The fish doesn't know the difference in what you are using.

Date: July 22, 2014 06:53PM

Thanks Randolph

Some of this new stuff just gets me upset

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.224.---)
Date: July 22, 2014 06:59PM

Bill, lighten up.

Date: July 22, 2014 07:28PM

Why not get Upset
I should tell my Customers that They should have Torzite guides on there rods _____
Why So I can make more money
The whole idea is to build rods that PERFORM

That is why I build

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.google.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 06:23AM

Bill,

What is it about the fuji torzites that you feel makes them "not perform" or inferior to microwave. I can see you have some serious distain for fuji from the last two threads I read but what about the question asked? In my limited experience I have found the test casting data to be equal to kr and I give the edge to fuji in frame quality and strength. As far as the ring material I cannot justify the expense when alconite gets the job done, but if your looking for the best it seems that fuji has atleast taken the right approach to source out a specific material designed for rod applications. You cant even get a full titanium stripper in microwave to my knowledge wheras fuji gives you many options. I just went with fuji over mw because I had a stronger ldb runner option and didn't like having to buy a half ass titanium stripper in a full set to only use one guide. The only ldb in titanium is SIC, so I wish fuji had even more options and had one in alconite.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 08:34AM

Are the most expensive guides the best?

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 23, 2014 08:53AM

Lynn,
you would have to define 'best casting spinning rod' in a little more detail.
For some folks best casting could mean: works with the widest variety of reel sizes and line types while still giving adequate performance.
For some it could be accuracy.
For some it could be pure distance cast yet fail horribly when fighting a large fish at the limits of the rods power.
( look at distance casting rod setups that win prizes)

Folks chose guide trains for many reasons beyond that too:
sensitivity due to mass reduction towards the tip
Accuracy
ease in setup to reduce build time/increase profit margins.
Looks, that could be eye of the beholder, flash, first adopter of tech, exclusivity, matching color scheme of sport team.
sales advantages.

You could also use mixed components, i know i do.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 02:02PM

Dennis The microwaves come as a set for a reason. Not for you to place t he stripper on any old rod with any guides and expect it to work as well as the complete line control system. Like to know why you feel it is a Half assed Titanium guide?

Lynn I would be putting on the Micro wave guides on your rod. I am certain that you will be impressed.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 02:24PM

Thanks Rolly, appreciate the input! Lynn

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.google.com)
Date: July 24, 2014 12:23PM

Rolly,

Last time I checked, the stripper was a ti coated product not full titanium. Full titanium runners and then going with a coated striper seems half ass to me. Thats why that was said.

So we are clear, I like the mw system very much, and it flat out works. If your building a rod where you will be changing reels and line types then it is a perfect solution. My problem lies in the option aspect. I was talking about changing out the runners for a more durable option, not just slapping random guides on a rod. The coils are contained at the choke point so having to use set runners and placement seems more like a marketing gimic to me. If I could of bought a full titanium mw reduction and used reinforced runners for the 9' surf rod I was building it would of been tested. Instead I used a klh reduction train.

Another thing that deters mw use for me in certain applications, besides not being suitable for heavy duty application or surf where I mainly fish, it is placement options. MW works for me, but not any better than a fine tuned kr type reduction train. You still contain the braid with specific placement and smaller rings, but you have more flexibility to move a guide here or there to place for static loading, pulling power, etc. Mw falls short to me there as well.

Both systems work but fuji has more options. I like the fuji frames better and think Torzite is the best guide material made. Too expensive for most of my applications, but if you want the best, it is it. Therefore if you want the best guides for a specific rod and reel, then I say Fuji Torzite as well.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 24, 2014 03:55PM

Rod builders have to be on their toes. "Titanium" frequently means an unknown base metal with a coating of a few micrometers of titanium. ". . . ite" means a trade name but provides little useful information. "Titanium alloy" could refer to several different alloys with considerably different hardness, corrosion resistance, and memory. Marketing hype is everywhere, from ads to shills, and let the buyer beware.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 25, 2014 04:12PM

Dennis check out the Surf/ carp Micro wave guides for your next build. They were just brought out and should be available soon.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: July 25, 2014 11:02PM

How about trying the Tidalwave hybred guides. Best of both worlds,- Titanium and Titanium coated SS versions the standard Microwave guides. Using the nanolite inserts. They are Light and Strong and change how the rod feels through out the cast. I like how the microwaves perform on my spinning rods, and would suggest them to anyone.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster