I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help with band saw
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 22, 2014 11:02AM

I have a craftsman band saw I just purchased. When I use it the band curves to the right and I cannot get a straight cut. What should I do?
Thanks,
Harry

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with band saw
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 11:56AM

Harry,
That is a tough one.
Which model did you purchase. Was it the two wheel stand alone band saw, or is it the three wheel bench top saw?
What width blades are you using?
Have you tried cutting with different width blades.
Have you gone through the setup of the blade guides?
Do you have the right tension on the blades.

It is a pretty common occurrence for the saw to not to cut straight with the bench top versions.

Another common thing to happen is that the blade guides may not be set up correctly.

Take a square and check the alignment of the blade with respect to the bench top blade guides.

Also, on most of the Craftsman saws, they use the rubbing block style blade guides which can be very good. Use a square to check to see if the block style blade guides are square with respect to the top of the miter guides on the top of the saw table.

Remember, you want the top blade guide to be as close to the work piece as possible to help guide and control the saw.

I have had a number of band saws, and I will say that I have sold all of the less expensive and bench top saws because I could never get them to cut straight. After buying the 2 wheel saw that I have now, I still had to spend a couple of months and a different set of blade guides, before I could get the saw to cut straight.

The main thing that I can suggest is that you be patient and check and adjust, try some different brands of blades, and make some changes with blade tension to see the effects of tension changes. Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 11:59AM

Harry,
Here is a pretty good collection of band saw reviews and setups.

You might run through them to help out with your problem.

Sometime one is overlooking one little step that makes all of the difference in the world.

[www.youtube.com]

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 12:09PM

Harry
Most likely the reason a band saw will cut to one side or the other is because of two reasons. Sometimes when the blade is stamped it will get more "set" in one side or the other depending on how it's made.

The other reason is more likely, and that is if you hit something while cutting it will dull the blade on that side. The blade will cut to the side of the sharpest teeth and not cut straight. Be sure the guides are set properly to hold the blade straight too.

If you have another new blade put it on the saw and try it.

As a woodhop instructor for way to many years I have seen this a lot. I would also recommend a high quality blade like a Carter.. They are bandsaw experts. On their website there is a wealth of information about bandsaws and how it set them up.

[www.carterproducts.com]

About $20 - 25 each but well worth it. They cut perfect and last a long time even when cutting graphite blanks. Also what type of blade are you using meaning skip tooth etc. For EVA, Cork and blanks I use and recommend a 14 tooth per inch blade.

Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2014 12:48PM

Make sure the blade is properly tensioned and that you have the guide blocks set close to the blade, with the adjustable up/down slide spacing set just above the workpiece height.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-133.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2014 08:57AM

Blade guide setup could also be the cause. The upper and lower stop bearing needs to be adjusted so it does not spin when there is no cutting pressure on the blade,once pressure is applied the blade touches and spins. Now adjust the blade guides so the set of the blade does not go into the guides when blade pushed up against the stop bearing. Lately adjust guides so there is about a1/32" space between guide and blade. If not aadjusted properly the teeth hit the guide changing the set and the blade does not track straight.

Blade guide setup could also be the cause. The upper and lower stop bearing needs to be adjusted so it does not spin when there is no cutting pressure on the blade,once pressure is applied the blade touches and spins. Now adjust the blade guides so the set of the blade does not go into the guides when blade pushed up against the stop bearing. Lately adjust guides so there is about a1/32" space between guide and blade. If not aadjusted properly the teeth hit the guide changing the set and the blade does not track straight.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 08:46PM

Slow down when you feed the material into the blade keep the preshure on the blade light let it cut it wont offset the blade as much .

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 08:46PM

Slow down when you feed the material into the blade keep the preshure on the blade light let it cut it wont offset the blade as much .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster