I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rebuilding a Scot G 85-5
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: July 21, 2014 10:22PM

Hello all. I have aquired a new project rod, its a Scot G series rod, a G 85-5. Its my understanding that this is an old graphite rod and is of moderate action (which I prefer). This factory built rod has the toughest epoxy resin on the windings that I have yet to deal with, its super hard and very tough to remove.

I am hoping to save the original Scott script on the rod, even though it is faded somewhat. The epoxy is over top of the logo, no problem. I am leaving it there, but I am cleaning up the blank using 1000 grit sand paper and water. Slowly, it is coming along.

Naturally, some of the ridges of this factory un-sanded blank are getting slightly rounded, but I dont mind. I am being careful to keep them visible, I want the rod to at least look a little bit as it was when new.

So, I am asking... can I use a rod finish right over the epoxy and blank together, or do I have to remove all of the epoxy to do this?
Do you think it would be ok to use spar varnish instead of rod finish?

I have only used the spar varnish on my glass rods, I have been very pleased with the look and feel of the finish. Can I get away with this or not? Thanks

Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rebuilding a Scot G 85-5
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2014 09:28AM

You have many options here. Generally epoxy on guide wraps can be removed, provided you remove the wraps as well. Slice the finish and thread on top of the guide foot and simply peel everything off. Rewrap and refinish.

Now if you're not wanting to remove the guide wraps the chance of getting the epoxy off is slim. But yes, you can clean what's there, scuff lightly with Scotchbrite, and refinish with fresh epoxy.

Spar varnish is fine, but I'd look for something that is made specifically for outdoor use, gloss finish. Some type of urethane wood or boat finish.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 10:04AM

The finish on the guides is Probably Yellowed ??? Your choice but clean thread and finish will make it look a lot better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 05:53PM

I totally stripped the rod, some of the threads and underlying epoxy were extremely hard to remove.

The rod has been used hard, it has some wear, so, I want to refinish the blank. The rod needs to be refinished completely, it is now just a blank. A beat up blank. Soooo...... rod finish (I dont have a fast turner to apply this and keep the rod moving) or, do I just use spar varnish?

I have been very pleased with the spar varnish on my glass rods, I have not used it on graphite. What do you recommend?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster