I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji 'micro' - why 4 instead of 3?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 20, 2014 11:12AM

Curious. Recently looking at Fuji's news guides and notice that they recommend only as small as size 4 and not 3. Curious why? Some micro guide users get even smaller than size 3 at times. Size 4 is really not that small - curious why. I did notice in the past that their size 3 SICs are not finished nearly as well as the larger sizes but hope this is not the reason why...

Anyways, wondering if anyone knows why it is now down to only a size 4.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 11:14AM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji 'micro' - why 4 instead of 3?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2014 11:22AM

It could be that they feel that going smaller is only getting you into a state of diminished returns for the weight involved against the ability to provide a bit more versatility in lines and use. But that's just a guess on my part.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2014 12:29PM

Mo in testing done six plus years ago I found 3 and 3.5 to out perform 4 mm guides and 2 mm guides to out perform the others
If l remember correctly Fuji did some testing (I know not what) and said they found no performance advantages in guides smaller then 4 mm.

Spent almost a year testing micros before publishing any results and am convinced the results are accurate

here is link to of the one of the posted tests.
[rodbuilding.org]

Could be its easier and more cost effective to convince people to use one size, rather then to build the equipment for constructing all sizes also requires housing a lot less inventory. But that's just a guess on my part

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 12:30PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2014 02:32PM

Mo,
Reducing guide sizes is a lot like going up in blank quality, or obtaining less weight in a blank.

It is easy to gain a lot by making a small change from a larger blank to a reasonably small blank.

For example, going from a size 8 to a size 4 guide.

But, the difference in gains, if any when one goes from 4 to 3 is much less, and if going from a 3 to a 2 is even less. It is simply the point of diminishing returns.

Also, if one is building a conventional casting rod, one goes from 9 guides for size 4 guides and goes up to 12 or 14 guides for a size 2 guide, I doubt very much if there is any weight savings at all.

Be safe

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2014 11:11PM

Roger; Why would you go up to 14 guides when 2's if using 9 with 4's?

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2014 01:43AM

Thanks everyone.

I'm coming from the philosophy of not looking at specific gains by going from one size to the next. Rather, my approach is to press the envelope and push for every tiny advantage possible with the belief that dozens of tiny little gains, each imperceptible by itself, does add up to a perceptible difference. So I go overboard.

As to 4 vs 3, it is not just weight. It is also aerodynamic drag. Considering that I am building ultralight casting 1/32 oz or less at times using 2 lbs line, these tiny differences are a bit more perceptible than if one was casting 10 lb fluoro for bass. UL blanks can be incredibly sensitive to even small changes in terms of oscillation and feel.

I did wonder if the size 3 were just going to require too expensive an equipment to finish properly up to the standards of the other Fuji SICs. I see that they now have 'Torzite' or something like that but only down to size 4.

Mo

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 21, 2014 11:25AM

Tom's about right. It's a Weight vs Performance issue plugged into a global market. The pendulum went all the way over to size 2 for a little while, then started back. The size 5 appears to be a nice compromise for the those unwilling to swallow the complete micro pill and it appears it may emerge as the leader when all the dust settles.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.247.---)
Date: July 22, 2014 08:40AM

There have been positions taken on the forum before that the smaller guides are more sensitive to icing, lake weeds, cottonwood, water fleas, etc. Also, the smaller the guide the less likely it is that it will pass knots, if you use knots.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2014 08:42AM

And thus the danger of simply using "micro guides" without any consideration of the task at hand. The best guide size always turns out to be whatever the proper guide size is.

Date: July 22, 2014 05:27PM

So, what alternatives are there for size 3 titanium frame SIC rings that are lightly built given that I am building for 2 and 4 lbs test so there is not a lot of stress on the guides.

Thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2014 06:40PM

Mo,
Use Pac Bay minima guides in size 3. A fraction of the cost and lighter as well.

Be safe

Date: July 22, 2014 07:00PM

I have used the minimas and really like them for the cost and light weight.

But for times when I want to go go overkill.....:), I do use titanium SICs...

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.224.---)
Date: July 26, 2014 09:06AM

It is my opinion that SIC for light and medium duty freshwater rods is not necessary for proper performance. I have never grooved even the cheapest guides on my old factory rods, some of which have a lot of experience and which have grooved tiptops. I use SIC tiptops because the tiptop is where the demands are the highest. I thnk the next step down from SIC, alconite for Fuji, will last forever on the rods mentioned above. Alconite titanium guides are a really sweet spot in terms of performance/cost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster