I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy on EVA Grip
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 18, 2014 08:06AM

Hi All

My current build has gone from bad to worse! I just pulled the tape off the rear grip and found that some epoxy had wicked under the tape! Any way to remove this? Can I sand the EVA? It's to thin to peel off!

This is a disaster!

On the flip side my wraps turned out really nice! Lol

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy on EVA Grip
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 10:07AM

next time take the tape off RIGHT AWAY then wash with alcohole

Now sand if it has set up Only way - on a lath Yea you can do it buy hand

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 18, 2014 10:26AM

Thanks Bill. I am going to try to sand it.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Date: July 18, 2014 10:37AM

Another thing Always dry fit Before Gluing up Several times
I don't like an eva handle sticking in place 1 - 2" before it goes down in place - LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 11:24AM

Bill, I am also new here and would like to know how you tape things "the right way." What is the method of taping things so epoxy and other gels and liquids do not seep in under your taped-off section?

Thanks!

Carlos

Date: July 18, 2014 11:45AM

Best way is to Not have the eva So Tight that it Pushes the glue out from under it I ream for a easyer fit
I get them to stop 2-3 inches from where they will sit
tape as best you can
I ream the Leading section of the grip Forget what it is called so the glue Tends to go into the grip
I tape up the blank in front of where the grip goes so I don't get glue on the blank It goes on the tape Then pulling the tape off Glue is almost all gone

When in place Clean right away
measering the ID as close to blank size Helps greatly less reaming

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2014 11:50AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 11:58AM

Hi,

When it comes to grips I like to use the PVC tape stuff that comes in red and blue rolls. I use this because it has no tack to it and will not leave residue or remove any of the grip when removed. It provides waterproof sealing in its natural application so it works really well for me. I've actually had painters tape pull EVA pieces out when removed.

One trick that I learned for edges of finish was to actually wait until the finish had set a little before removing tape (if you use it). Just something about the finish having time to perk up a little that gives it a really nice solid line. For a typical light finish I'd say 20-30 minutes depending on room temp.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 12:01PM

In addition to Bill's comment, just don's use any tape when you build a rod. Stuff invariably get under the tape and causes issue.

So, use no tape and use the right amount of glue. As you push thing together, if a glue ridge is building up, use a brush to take the ridge off, before you push things tight.

Then, for the first 30 minutes following a glue up, constantly monitor the rod for signs of glue pushing up and or oozing out of joints. If you see any, get right on it with DNA and a tooth brush and remove any residual glue.

If the epoxy has begun to set, so that DNA won't remove it, use good ventilation and use Xylene or Acetone to remove the excess glue. Both Xylene and Acetone are much much stronger and are also very harmful if the fumes are breathed in, so use only with very good ventilation. For example an open window with a fan behind you so that fumes are blown out of the window as you work with these strong solvents.

But, if you stay on top of your build as you glue things up, don't use an excessive amount of glue, use no tape to let things get trapped under and you will be good to go.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster