I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie with a few Qs...
Posted by: Rich Blott (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2014 09:56PM

Hi all,
I'm brand new to the forum and to rodbuilding and looking for some advice. I'm hoping to get some blank recommendations for my first build. I'd like to build a rod for targeting bluefish, stripers, and false albacore around Rhode Island. I'm thinking of something in the 7-7'6' range, with a Shimano Spheros 4000 reel, spooled up with 15-20 lb braid. I'm leaning toward a medium weight rod, so I can throw light soft plastics. And, of course, I'd rather not spend a fortune on the blank!

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Rich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie with a few Qs...
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 12:02AM

Hello Rich.

Welcome Aboard!
My first rod was a heavy bottom kit from MudHole.
My recommendation for a Blank Only (Cheap, Strong, & Reliable) would be the CRB blank from MudHole (IS701H) 7', 15-25#, $30 bucks.

If you are not sure of what you want just give MudHole (on the Left List) a yell.

Good Luck.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.19.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 02:02AM

If I were you I would check out MHX blanks. They are my favorites and are priced right. The MB-873 and MB-941 models look like something you might be interested in. The 941 is a 7'10 but It is my absolute favorite rod for plastics. The extra few inches make a huge difference in my opinion. It lets me throw anything from swimbaits to grubs. I would use either Microwave guides or Alconite K Concept guides. If you have the cash I would go with titanium frames.
Good Luck,
Ben Eipert

Posted by: Rich Blott (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 07:51AM

Thanks for the tips guys.
Ben, I had actually been looking at the MB873 as a possible candidate.

Would people say that Mudhole is pretty much the best source for rod building supplies?

-Rich.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 08:32AM

I just built a couple of these & really like the feel: American Tackle "Bushido" blank:

LS76/12-25
7'6" Light Saltwater 12-25 lb.
7'6"
12-25
3/8 - 1-1/4
Mod-Fast
Med-Heavy

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 04:43PM

In answer to your question regarding "the best source." Some would say Mudhole, some would say, Anglers Workshop, some would say, Get Bit Outdoors, some would say,Bingham Enterprises, on and on. It is all in the eye of the beholder!

There are many factors that come into play when choosing sources as none of them carry every item a builder may need, and some carry only a few brands, freight also is a consideration.

Posted by: Shawn Engel (190.124.17.---)
Date: July 18, 2014 06:02PM

Get bit outdoors doesn't answer my emails.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 18, 2014 06:31PM

Try calling in the morning ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2014 09:41AM

Shawn,
Get Bit not replying to email may be an Internet thing and yours may net be getting through. I sent Kevin an email about his line of Liberty Blanks....and he Called me on the phone 5 minutes later to discuss. That's good customer service.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.oakharbor-wifi-1171.amplex.net)
Date: July 20, 2014 08:25AM

Get bit called to let me know a blank was no longer in stock. That was nice of them...that is where the nice stopped. I told them that was fine and not to worry about it but to credit my credit card the cost of that blank. when the order arrived it was still on the bill but no blank in the delivery. I called them right away and LEFT A MESSAGE! waited for them to call back...tick tock....when I did get to talk to them they said their records showed that I got the blank and questioned if I was sure that I didnt miss it in the tube.
To make a long story short...after about 5 phone conversations and more hassel than I would have liked, they did finally credit my account. For that reason I am willing to give them 1 more try! I hope you all have a better time with get bit.

Mark

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2014 11:38AM

Rich, I'll just add that there is a difference between a freshwater and salt water blank. I'd suggest you look at "inshore" blanks.

It would help to know what weight range of plastics you wish to cast. "Light" and 15-20# braid don't equate...if light means 1/4 ounce and under!

You could spend more on the reel seat, guides, grips, etc. than the blank. Best to give us a hard number on total build cost. Given the choice I'd generally buy the better the blank as you can always replace the guides later on.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster