I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static Deflection
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 15, 2014 04:49PM

Ive been using this test as Tom described in his book. I have a problem in knowing how much should I bend the rod in the first section . Bend the rod 10 degrees everything looks fine, bend it 30 degrees and you may see flat spots develope. Can you give me an approximate degree of bend in the first section? I can figure out the rest. thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 09:14PM by Bill Cohen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static Deflection
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2014 05:09PM

This should help you understand of how to check this
[anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2014 07:13PM

This seems to address the fish-fighting aspect of rod-bend. Where does the casting performance enter into the equation. Especially - for me - fly rods??
Seems fly rod casting performance may dictate different spacing. I try to keep the stripper and 2nd guide close together to eliminate rod wrap. So my stripper is farther from the reel seat than usual.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2014 10:53PM

What is "further than usual?" On fly rods the stripper must be far enough up the rod to allow one to reach up and grab the line behind the guide for both casting (hauling double & single) and retrieving flies when stripping streamers. If the stripper is too close it inhibits stripping good lengths of line.

A good method for judging the correct distance for an angler, is to have them hold the rod normally and then reach forward to grab the line, the stripper is then placed just ahead of that point. It of course varies with the length of the persons reach, thus no set measurement. However 27 inches from the reel works for most without either very long or short reaches. Putting this guide in place for a specific angler is another custom feature.

Date: July 15, 2014 11:56PM

Phil,
I do not use that "formula" to determine position of striper. I know most do, however.
When casting one should either let line slip through fingers - or - have line come-up tight to the reel. In either case there is no need to "reach" for the line. But in the event that the caster loses control of the line he can simply move the rod backwards with the rod hand until the line can be reached.

My strippers on 9'0" saltwater rods are between 32" and 33" from rod's butt cap. This gives me the opportunity to have the 2 double footed guides closer together than "normal" and do away with a "tamer'.
Also - that distance provides a more efficient angle for the line to come out of a stripping basket or off a boats deck.
Herb

Date: July 16, 2014 10:25AM

Im looking to stick with the method Tom described looking for a starting point in degrees

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2014 11:54AM

You may some additional information here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 16, 2014 12:34PM

Tom,
Fly rods are absent from all these primers.
Herb

Date: July 16, 2014 12:52PM

Turn the rod upside down if you like. You can handle a fly rod much in the same way you'd do a casting rod.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.11.---)
Date: July 16, 2014 12:57PM

Herb, why would it matter if it was a fly rod?

In most cases one has already decided the location of the butt guide, choker guide, and therefore the reduction guides. So static testing is more about location of all the running guides. With that in mind I don't see that it matters what type of rod it is.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 16, 2014 01:38PM

Russ,
You are correct. Don't know why I got involved after building hundreds of fly rods. Always trying to learn something. Never know it all.

Date: July 16, 2014 02:05PM

No guide spacing system is going to do everything for you. In most cases you're starting with a known butt guide location, a known first guide from the tiptop location, and with most of the NGC systems you have the choke guide set in place. But when you don't have something like the NGC 27X system of line path to set the rest of the guides, some sort of static stress distribution system is needed to get the rest of the way, or at least in the ballpark from where you can adjust as needed for what you're trying to do.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2014 09:30AM

If your guide spacing results in too large a distance from the stripping guide to the next one, you can readjust the spacing to cut that distance. Another solution is to add a line taming guide about 4" in front of the stripping guide and problem solved. If you use the "story pole" method of deflection and spacing, you can run into a large distance from stripper #1 to the next guide.

If we consider what the goal is for static deflection, it's trying to get the guides in the right location for various loads on the blank. A light load that only deflects the top 1/3 of the blank will highlight where the guides should be placed in that section. As you increase the load, the tip section drops out to be flat, and the deflection occurs in the mid section, then the butt. As you increase the load, you can adjust the guide spacing where the rod bends accordingly. When casting or fighting a fish, the rod load and deflection are changing all the time and guides should be placed to accommodate all the various loads the rod will be subjected to.

Tight lines.

Terry

Date: July 17, 2014 04:32PM

Once I moved the stripper farther away from the butt I took off all my "tamers" as unnecessary.

Date: July 19, 2014 11:43AM

Thanks Terry, that flat position of the first section of the rod then progressing to the next section was very informative.Just what I needed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster