I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Balance
Posted by: Geo Miller (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: July 10, 2014 03:11PM

This is definety a "newbi" question but can't seem to find the answer anywhere else, so as per usual will ask here. Am getting ready to build my 1st rod, and in order to try and understand the basics am always lurking here, and have just recently been reading Dale Clements book "Advanced Rod Building".

Now to the question, have see "balancing a rod" mentioned here as well as in Dales book and can understand why it's important. But, how exactly do you balance a rod? Assume it is measured by trying to balance it on your finger, but at what point do you do it on the blank? Assume it is done with guides, seat and reel fitted. Is it done with seat perminately glued? Have seen lots about how to balance everything if it is tip heavy, but what if it is butt heavy, what do you do?

Apprecaite the advice and help.

Regards

George Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Balance
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2014 03:52PM

Geo,
Many folks like to have their rods balanced. Normally the rod gets balanced about the spot where you normally hold the rod so that the tip is neither done, nor up, just level.

Some folks will add weight to the back of the rod.

I used to do that, but now, just use the lightest components that are reasonable and have a butt length is reasonable and just let the rod balance come out where it comes out.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2014 05:06PM

Generally, rods have gotten lighter and lighter over the years so any imbalance doesn't represent the problem that it once did.

Now having said that, there are certain technique specific rods that many feel should be balanced to obtain a "tip up" or "tip down" balance. They claim it makes the technique easier to employ. You can do a search of the board archives for rod balance and turn up enough reading material to keep you busy for several days.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2014 07:13PM

Many things have to be considered for "balance"!! Rear and front grip, reel used, lure weight, etc. You can have a blank perfectly balanced before you put the reel and lure on the rod, but what good is that going to do?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2014 09:26PM

You sound like the kind that does a lot of thinking about how to build a better mouse trap. Me too FWIW.

I'm going to suggest to you that there are a lot of things that are a "matter of personal preference". Rather or not one should balance a rod falls into that area.

One of the few things most everyone agrees on; all things equal, the lightest rod wins.

Why go out and spend 200% more for the lightest blank, guides, and grips........only to add 50% extra weight to balance the rig?

IMHO you have better things to be using your brain power on for your first build. Keep in mind this addtional weight to balance the rod can be added after you build the rod. For now focus on the big picture. Suitability for the task at hand, weight, ergonomics, etc.

But do keep asking these questions. Ain't no silly ones at this point.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2014 12:55PM

Geo,
I do a lot of slack line jig fishing.
i.e. the line is slack and the jig is laying on the bottom of the lake or river.

While waiting for the tap on the line to signify a bite, it is nice to have the rod resting nicely in the hand, with neither the tip down or up.

For this particular situation, I like to have the rod balance at the point where I normally hold the rod, with the reel on the rod that I am using. The lure or jig is out of the picture, since it is laying quietly on the bottom of the lake waiting to be picked up by a wandering fish.

If you have to clench your hand all day, while doing this technique, the hand gets tired and if the light tap does come late in the day, your hand may be desensitized to the point where you don't feel the tap.

Posted by: Geo Miller (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: July 11, 2014 01:20PM

As always, lots of helpful, informative information. Thank you all.

Regards

Geo Miller

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.static.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: July 15, 2014 10:22PM

The balance point of a rod in use depends a good deal upon the weight of the reel being used and the amount of weight being cast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster