I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

antlers for reel seats?
Posted by: Buzz B (216.114.19.---)
Date: November 06, 2001 01:33PM

I just got done emailing with a nice gentleman from MI. who turns down wooden reel seats and hosels, and also turns down reel
seats from antlers (unk if deer or elk). I am interested in ordering a
few but was wondering if anyone else has used this material? Was
there a big weight difference? How did the antler hold up? Any and all feedback from experience would be appreciated. I am thinking of using them for heavy fly rods and spin rods (freshwater)
Thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: antlers for reel seats?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 06, 2001 02:21PM

They are not very heavy, particularly if you give them a generous bore size. I have worked with woods that are much more heavy. They hold up quite well and can be buffed and polished to a nice shine if you so choose.

If you do not have a supply of your own, check with any of the knife making supply houses. They usually have a wide variety of antler types.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: November 06, 2001 05:40PM

Another material of interest for reel seats is Oosik (sp?). I saw some neat seat made out of this at the Rodcrafter's National. Since I was a Freshman I am not sure if I was getting my leg pulled, but I was told is it fossilized walrus penil bone. If I am wrong I'd like to be corrected, but that is what I was told.

Billy

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2001 11:42PM

Billy-Why would anyone want to pull your leg? You are correct; that's what it is.

Hugh

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 07, 2001 07:43AM

Hmmmm - I wonder?!?!? I would just hate to post what it is as if i know what I'm talking about.

Pulling my leg - 17 years old, 1st day as a stockboy for my neighbors bagel shop. I was sent to 4 different gas stations to get a bucket of steam so that they can steam clean the rug in the office. Is that a good enough reason to be leery as a Freshman??? LOL.

Other things to be leery of: left-handed monkey wrenches. a 1 quart can of elbow grease, etc.

Billy

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 10:44AM

working as a bike mechanic,I once told a guy he couldn't figure out how to adjust his gears because he didn't have a left handed screw driver! My concern with the antlers would only be storing it, I read somewhere that out in the woods, all kinds of mice and bugs and other little beasties will reduce a dropped antler to dust in a matter of weeks! so you better store it where they can't get at it, or put some kind of finish on it that isn't very tasty. I am not kidding about this one.

Posted by: Buddy Tison (---.firn.edu)
Date: November 07, 2001 11:26AM

Check out this site. They have just about every type antler. Went there in September.
It is an interesting place.
Moscow Hide & fur
Moscow, Idaho
www.hideandfur.com/

Posted by: Ed (---.citicorp.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 04:27PM

Billy,

You are almost 100% correct. Oosik is walrus penile bone, but like Stag and other horn materials, it is not fossilized (rock hard). Mastodon, on the other hand, is fossilized and if you get a really good piece, you will get blues, greens and other colors and shades. These natural materials need to be sealed against humidity and will shrink and expand along with the humidity levels. So make allowances for this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster