I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color for wraps and thread question
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2001 11:37AM

1) Looking for some color suggestions for wraps /trim on a deep blue blank. I like a bit of contrast rather than matching the thread color to the blank.

2)Im going to try LS2000. I like the varathane 900 but 6-7 coats is a lot of steps with sanding in between and I always manage to scratch the blank or contaminate a wrap or two with doing so many steps.

3) Is CP recommended to keep thread color close with LS2000? CP is not needed with Varithane?

4)Has any one tried wrapping with high quality Rayon thread?

I went with my wife to a fabric store the other day and bought a few rolls of top quality fine diameter Rayon thread. The color choice were spectacular including verigated colors and many metalics including verigated metalics! I did a test wrap and found it easy to work with and I checked the wrap with a 10x loupe it layed down very nice! Again the color choices were very impressive and it seems plenty strong enough. what do you all think.

Thanks again you are all most helpful! this site has helped me get better and I waste less time on projects using all your information!!

Happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color for wraps and thread question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 06, 2001 12:33PM

CP is not needed with any finish, unless you want to keep the "on the spool" color. When I have used Varithane, I have found that it darkens the thread just like any other finish applied to naked threads.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 06, 2001 12:50PM

Hi John,

1) Lots of creative choices here. Purple with metallic trim makes a nice contrast against deep blue blanks. My wife is the expert with color matching, but let to my own devices I often consult a simple artists color wheel and check the contrasting or opposing color, I believe it is orange or something. Haven't tried that one yet. Also consider the new classic twist thread from Gudebrod. It's very nice to work with in size A, lays flat and tight, looks good all the way around.

2) By all means try LS 2000 Supreme. It is very forgiving with it's long pot life, less bubbles, and good leveling properties, crystal clear... just a very good product giving an expert finish.

3) If you are using NCP thread, you don't need color preserver, although using it even on NCP may give a different effect. It's not so much as to which finish is used, as the color preserver interacts with the thread to keep the color and reduce the transparancy. Also it helps eliminate air that may be trapped in threads, especially the large sizes such as D.

4) Suggest sticking with a quality thread specifically designed for the purpous of rodbuilding. The properties of sewing thread may or may not be the best in rodbuilding. I know nothing of using Rayon sewing thread for holding the wraps over long periods on a fishing rod. May look nice or easy to work with, I just am not aware of the brand or type you mention. Good brands for rodbuilders exist and are much better than ever before. Silk thread also is a good alternative, strong and with rich, but limited color choices. Silk also require a different type of color preserver and technique.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 06, 2001 01:06PM

i just did a st croix scI with the matte dark blue finish, used the dark cobalt blue and copper, and a second with dark green and copper, boyh looked really sharp

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster