I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another KR Question - KT vs L running guides
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 09:32AM

I understand the value of the KB guides for the first few running, but is there any advantage to KT over L guides? The later looks a tiny bit lighter, but I'm wondering if the KT sheds wind knot wraps better. Amazing how much I'm having to catch up after not building for a couple of years!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another KR Question - KT vs L running guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 09:58AM

I think the question you should ask is How Much Does Each Weigh

I take it you have used the L guides have any trouble If not - use them and move on

If for a customer ask what they want There rod

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 09:59AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 11:02AM

KT's are part of the "K-Series" - designed to be tangle free with the same ring angle and frame design. Most prefer the consistent, stylish look the "same series" provides. Of course, there is no reason the L's won't work just fine.

Date: April 23, 2014 11:08AM

Thanks Jim. That's what I assumed, but didn't want to make an order only to need to make another one later. I'm the occasional hobby builder for personal use so I don't stock a lot of guides. I pretty much order what I need.

In a previous post you mentioned something written up in a catalogue in RM magazine. I don't currently get RM. Is there some place I can get that info? Or can you tell me which issue of RM has it so I can order the back issue?

Thanks again for all the help.

Posted by: john backos (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2014 12:20PM

Wind knots come from poor line control during casting. If you feather the line with your finger and stop it with your finger before you close the bail on a spinning reel, you will likely never have wind knots. The L guides are fine. Understand that companies also need to "innovate" from time to time to keep consumers buying products.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 05:21PM

Marty: Our catalog was shipped with this months issue of RodMaker. If you would like one, send your mailing address to info@anglersresource.net and we will mail one to you. Same for the Handle Reference Book. We will even pay postage!

Date: April 23, 2014 08:06PM

Thanks Jim. Email sent.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2014 08:19PM

Look into the microwave guides easy set up and lighter.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 11:56AM

I don't get wind knots from casting, but being a river smallmouth fisherman means lots of light weight jigs fished down in the rocks, which means snags and buggy whipping snags loose. This at times causes braided fishing line to tip wrap or form a wind knot. The K series running guides i've used on the last 2 spinning rod builds has cut this down significantly. I'd reccommend them over the L running guides if tip wraps and wind knots are a concern.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster