I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

build order
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 08:59PM

Hi guys
Just wondering everyone seems to do all their butt wrapping after the handle is in place.
Is there anything wrong with marking out all the lengths for the handles then doing the butt wraps BEFORE the handle is on? Then doing 1 coat of finish before assembling the handle?
Seems it would be easier?
Thanks in advance guys
Andi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: build order
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2014 09:49PM

There isn't necessarily anything at all wrong with it, provided you can get your handle components over the finished wrap without hurting anything. You just have to decide which order works best for you.

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 10:26PM

ok thanks Tom

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 10:56PM

You can also extend the butt wrap into the grip area and hide the tie off under the grip. This will make the wrap look as if it is coming out of the fore grip. If you do the same for a split grip, the wrap will look as if it continuous with all of the tie offs hidden under the grips.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 07:11AM

I have done several that way. Easier with EVA than cork. If the grip is reamed out you need to make sure there is no grit in it. Also the finish needs to be set up good. I wait a week at least due to the clean up with alcohol after sliding the grip on. Its a nice look especially if you incorporate the first guide wrap into tip end tie off.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 02:04PM

The big question is Why would you want to do it that way??

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: April 23, 2014 02:32PM

Either way works, but laying down thread first slows the rod building process because it requires more steps in the application of finish (and the drying/curing time for each of those additional steps).

I prefer to do DEC wraps after handle assembly, but before guide wraps. This seems to make the best use of my time.

Posted by: chris short (122.151.122.---)
Date: April 24, 2014 07:59AM

Why would you want to do it that way? Simple, it looks better IMHO. I do dec wraps/tigers ect then install grips as I can hide the tie offs and it looks great. I recon it is easier with eva than cork also, still doeable. just ensure your threads are covered and the finish is set up very well.

CKR

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: April 24, 2014 11:27AM

On my first tiger wrap, I wrapped the tiger, installed the grips (cork and the butt grip from the bottom) and then added trim wraps next to the grips to change up the look.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Elliott Reams (75.87.250.---)
Date: April 25, 2014 04:02AM

I think the only problem you might run into is increasing the arbor size and the gap to the blank at the front of the grip. I could see this being an issue if you don't have the exact size winding check you need and/or the check is not flexable i.e. anoidized alumnium or something. I've had that problem in the past with ice rods, reamed hole being too large and not a small enough check.

Come to think of it make sure the check is the correct size after the butt wrap, don't measure diameter at the blank but around the wrap. I like the idea of hiding the butt wrap though without needing to do another wrap of D to the hook keep. Sometimes it just looks like a cover up even if it's done really well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 04:03AM by Elliott Reams.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 07:50AM

I have a rod I'm doing this on I started 4 years ago. Put it off to cure and built about 50 since. I guess it is set up enough. 'l'll have to look for it. No worries about an arbor in front of the reel seat for the fore grip. The thickness of the wrap and finish will be about equal to the taper or thinner and the grip will fit snug into position.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster