I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Klass Kote epoxy over paint
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 01:28PM

So I've been lurking for a while and have found many answers here. Can't find any info on this so I figured I'd make my first post.
I painted the blank of my newest build (first paint job). I used duplicolor perfect match lacquer and it came out real nice. I want a good clear over it and was going to buy an LVLP spray gun. However, two part urethane is a bit out of my hopeful price range. Klass Kote makes an epoxy paint that they claim can be sprayed over "many other " types of paint. It's much more affordable., but I can't find any info as to weather this will make a good clear coat for a painted blank.
There is a thread on using it over guide wraps, but doesn't cover my hopeful application.
If this will not work, what are some other good products out there that will work. I've seen some suggestions on other threads., but no specific examples of success stories. I.e. "I can throw the rod in the back of my truck with all my other gear or banged it on a pier rail and it won't chip."
In any case any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new to rod building. As a side note, this will be my first build where I plan my guides rather than relying on a spacing chart...so wish me luck on that as well!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Klass Kote epoxy over paint
Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 02:29PM

I can't really answer any questions to the types of paints/finishes you are using but I have sucess with using Krylon Fusion paint and just a few coats of spray on poly (acehardware brand). I found the key is time. Make sure everything cures before putting the next coat on. Don't paint based on the dry time but by the cure time. Here is a photo of the last one I did. It was a nasty mustard yellow before I painted it. [outthereflyfishing.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2014 02:36PM

KlassKote has a solvent in it so you'll want to test it over your paint on some scrap before you risk it on the actual rod blank.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (198.228.216.---)
Date: April 22, 2014 05:20PM

Well I did some searching and found some other branded 2k urethane systems on Google for around 35 dollars per qt (without reducer). Will a cheaper system provide good results? It seems that Klass Kote is a little on the pricier side. I didn't really look at other brands before because I didn't realize how big of a range there was on prices. I found the Klass Kote by searching 2k urethane for fishing rods.

If not I may just go the spray can poly as described above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2014 05:22PM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2014 05:23PM

There is a product called Spray Max that you may want to look into.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 07:50PM

Oh yeah...I've seen that recommended on several other threads. The problem with that is that my goal is to get a good setup that I can use over and over without breaking the bank. The gun I can use for other tasks around the house and a quart of urethane will last me for more rods than I'll probably build in 10 years. The KK was like $80 for a pint though. And that's total mixed quantity.
With the spray Max I'd be dropping 25 every time I build one rod. I have VERY limited time on my hands. I come home from a long day at work and then most nights I spend studying for the next event. So it's a slim possibility of saving up several rods to spray at once as recommended.
Plus with the quart method I can use for various other fun tasks without killing the entire supply in 24 hours. I.e. spraying motorcycle parts, refinishing my bicycle, painting a computer, etc. The KK price tag was just a bit steep for my liking. Plus I'm married LOL Thanks though.

Date: April 22, 2014 09:59PM

Just realized how that last post may have seemed like a contradiction...talking of how little time I have, but then all the things I plan on doing. LOL I am a dreamer, and a long term planner. It will take me likely years to get to all those projects I want to do! ha ha

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 23, 2014 08:00AM

Hi Jimmy

I have always wondered what the durability of the poly is. Have you used it on a rod that you have used in a boat? I ask because I think fly rods don't see the same type of abuse that let's say a bass casting rod might.

I know the Spraymax that Tom refers works but it is expensive if you are only shooting one rod. If you can plan to do multiple rods it becomes more cost effective.

If anyone can actually comment on experience using the spray can poly that would be very helpful.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 08:49AM

here is there clear coat kit Very similar to an auto clear Fast dry hard as nails I use the mid- temp reducer

I have put permagloss and lumiseal over the match paint Be fast
You should experiment on scrap first before a blank so you got the idea

[www.klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 09:08AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2014 03:04PM

Chris

Your right the only rods I have tryed painting are fly rods. The rods I have painted have all been fiberglass. So they bend deep all the way into the handle. I fish fly rods for trout and I still fish conventional for bass, and I would say I have broken way more fly rods on a small creek then I have ever broken conventional rods on a boat. That being said I haven't had any problems with the paint/polly. I do have plans to paint a bait rod for my daughter here very soon, I'll let you know how it holds up to a 3 year old.

Date: April 26, 2014 06:19PM

So I ended up just going to my local auto paint supply store and bought a quart of clear; a 2 part urethane system. Ifinished up painting the duplicolor on the rod (which seems to be a really tough paint as it is). Was ready to lightly sand the color and lay down a clear layer, when I decided to read the back label of the can. Both the paint and the activator say to use the entire container within 14 days of opening. I couldn't go through a quart of this in two weeks if I tried. Are all 2k systems like this? Why can't you store it after opening??? I may just end up getting a spray can if this is the case.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2014 07:24PM

I put most of my activators and things like Permagloss in the refrigerator and this seems to keep them for a long time Well sealed

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2014 01:45AM

Well thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep it and just try to store it in optimal conditions. Problem now becomes I had to return the gun. The "used - like new" gun had paint dried on the inside. So I sent back to amazon and ordered a new one. On sale for only $10 more than used. Sweet deal!!! Everything seems to be coming together. Can't wait to get started.
BTW it's gonna be a black with silver flake paint. Silver wraps with metallic green trim in size A. Think it's gonna go together really nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster