I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Duties and Taxes
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 22, 2014 11:02AM

Hi All,

This is a questions to my fellow Canadians out there. I just had a shipment from Mudhole come via Fedex valued at $250.00. When showed up,the Fedex guys said I owed $44 in duties! I have bought from Mudhole before and never had to pay this. Do we as the consumer have to pay this fee? What are your experiences? If this is the case paying $42 shipping and $44 duties, it's really expensive to buy from the US.

Thanks

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Duties and Taxes
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: April 22, 2014 11:45AM

You will be charged for the taxes which will be aprox 30 bucks plus FedEx charges for brokerage fees. and if the products are from China there may be duties. Then take in to account that 250 US is more like 275 Can.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 11:53AM

Chris,
I have customers in Canada and have to deal with this issue every day.
Yes, it is expensive to ship from the US to Canada and deal with customs and duties.

If, some of the Mexican folks who live in the US want to ship a product back to their home country, they have to pay 100% duty on any thing that they ship.
But, my understanding is that if they send money, they pay no duty.

So, they don't send objects, just money.

I built a rod for a fellow in the Netherlands. Between customs and duties, these bills were more than the value of the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2014 12:16PM

The duties are added by your government, not Mudhole. Do you have to pay them? I'd guess if you don't that the shipper isn't authorized to leave the shipment.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.179.---)
Date: April 22, 2014 12:46PM

Hi Tom

I am not putting this on Mudhole. I know this is a Canadian government issue. I am simply trying to see how others up here deal with it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2014 12:54PM

The interesting thing is that although we claim to have these free trade agreements, it doesn't seem to be something that our partners participate in. You can ship me whatever from your end and I won't be charged any duties or import fees. But if I send something to you, you'll get hit with that sort of thing. Surely I'm missing something.

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 01:34PM

The cheapest way to ship to Canada is USPS Priority Mail. Both UPS and Fedex go through agents who add their fees on top of the shipping costs. If I remember right, I shipped around three-hundred dollars worth of blanks and the cost, including insurance, was less than thirty dollars. I only charged actual charges which also kept the charges down but you can't expect everyone to do that. It was also requested by the Post Office that the contents and their respective costs be itemized on the outside of the package which was kind of a pain.
Lynn

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: April 22, 2014 01:56PM

Mudhole will only send up to 100 dollars through usps. Also when you are talking blanks of 7 ' the canadian post office frowns on the lenght. If you are buying all mudhole products then talk to Andy Snedden at Rodbuilder Supply. He carries the blanks etc and is in Victoria BC. still going to pay tax but shipping may be less.
I have a completed rod to send to Fordwich which is 2 hours away. Canada post wont ship it, Purolator wanted 45 bucks and Fed Ex wants 25 so yes you will be paying some shipping charges.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: April 22, 2014 02:43PM

Chris:

I cross over and pick up my orders in New York :) Check the FEDEX brockerage charge. It can be quite expensive. Then add 13% for HST (35.75)(Ontario) and it can add up fast. :(

Like Rolly, I use Andy where possible.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 03:35PM

I was once invited to attend the Victoria, BC sportsman's show to demonstrate rod building. I asked the organizer if I needed any special permits or pay any fees for bringing my rods, etc. into Canada and was assured that I would not have to have any or pay any fees.
WRONG!!! I was assessed an $800.00 deposit just in case I sold anything. I was told it would be returned to me when I went back home. They inventoried everything and would not accept a personal check or credit card. I had to find a bank and have a wire transfer of the funds to pay customs. Going back home, they told me I would get a check in the mail. That took 4 months!! I haven't been back to that show since!! Our respective Gov'ts are totally screwed up!! They don't know what free interprise is, but want to allow illegal immigrants free rein!!

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.179.---)
Date: April 22, 2014 03:57PM

Well I refused the order. Not sure what's going to happen now! FedEx has it and my visa has already been charged. I will have to call them. Maybe my first blank prefer was just under 100 because I didn't have to pay anything. Intact they left it at my front door.

Chris you say use Andy? He must pay the duties and therefore pass that on in the component cost. Anyway I will look into it.

Now I have to find out where my package is! Lesson learned.

Thanks everyone.

Date: April 22, 2014 04:12PM

Chris,
Normally when a package gets refused, it goes back to the nearest custom station and sits there for a predetermined length of time and then is either destroyed or sold off as part of a lot.

The package will not be shipped back to the supplier unless someone steps up to the plate and pays the customs charges.

You can check with your local branch of the shipper and they will be able to tell you where your package is.

By the way, for folks that live relatively close to the border, I ship to a drop box site that is in the US. The drop box site notifies the receipent to come pick up their package. The cross over, pick up the package and then go through customs on their own - rather than a shipping agent.
So, you save the shipping agent fee.

Also, there are different rules that apply to a Canadian who has purchased items in the US. compared to a US company shipping to the interior of Canada.

Be safe

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: April 22, 2014 05:48PM

Andy acts as his own broker. Given the amount that you quoted, it sounds like it is mostly tax. Without a visit to the US to bring some of the costs under your personal visit exemptions. I am unsure what duties/taxes he pays as a business. His prices in Canadian dollars are very similar to Mudhole's retail prices.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: April 22, 2014 06:06PM

Roger, what type products are you selling? It might make a difference in this regard.

Date: April 22, 2014 06:13PM

Ken,
Rods

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2014 06:33PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The interesting thing is that although we claim to
> have these free trade agreements, it doesn't seem
> to be something that our partners participate in.
> You can ship me whatever from your end and I won't
> be charged any duties or import fees. But if I
> send something to you, you'll get hit with that
> sort of thing. Surely I'm missing something.
>
> .............

Don't give our government any more ideas to take our earned money away from us. Next thing you know it we will be paying our state tax and the state tax of the online seller.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: April 22, 2014 08:02PM

The free trade agreement is there. Chris is being charged the taxes owing coming in to Canada not any duties. If he was to be charged duties it would be on the blank from China the reel seats from China and the guides. We get charged duty on anything that is not made in the US or Mexico. On top the taxes.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 09:34PM

Over the years I have learned its just not worth it and just have everything shipped to my mailing address in WA

I have no issues paying taxes and duties (the only thing our gov collects) that USPS/Canada post collects.

There are no duties on any goods coming into Canada that are made in the USA or Mexico as per our FTA and rarely did I get charged duties.

My issue is with the private couriers like UPS/Fedex/etc (read BANDITS ) that impose their own Brokerage fees and they set the value they want to charge.
Brokerage fees they keep, why........because enough pay it and they are not forced to change. You have to remember this money pure profit.
I had UPS claiming brokerage on a warrantied gps shipped from the USA, I said keep it, called the company and told them so they reissued another one and sent it USPS.....done no issue.
When they called me to ask why I refused the parcel she told me Fedex imposes brokerage on items over $20, I told her I didnt pay anything for it.....she said they assessed the value for brokerage based on what they thought it was worth so I told her I dont give money crooks.

Oddly enough as I typed this the door bell rang, Mr brown van.....
Last week i was contacted by Superlift USA, one of the suspension components in the lift kit in my truck was recalled and they were sending me a new one.
Fast forward to now mr UPS wants $22, I say for what, he says brokerage.
I said keep it, I refuse to pay their blood money.
Will see if they reissue me one via USPS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster