I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide choice for 8wt saltwater flyrod
Posted by: cortes_florian (---.ft.lns.abo.bbox.fr)
Date: April 21, 2014 03:29PM

hi, first and foremost sorry if i make mistake, I'm French.

I have a winston BIIIX 8wt and I need to change my guides, i'd like to try single foot guide is that a good idea ?
I made some research and found out this :

Stripping guides - Fuji Concept 16 and 12 TLNSG
Running guides - Fuji Concept 16/12/ 7s TLSG.

Tip top - TFST

The problem is that i can't find this "TLNSG" and "TLSG" guides here in France, is there any others possibilities to use for my rod ? If not I'm going to buy it in your country!

Thank you, and again sorry for my mistakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide choice for 8wt saltwater flyrod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 21, 2014 04:05PM

You can get American Tackle titanium guides hopefully at their dealer in France. www.MoucheShop.com. If you check their dealer listings under Europe there is another shop that may help in Germany.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 04:13PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: April 21, 2014 04:13PM

hi thank you for your answer! i'll check this
By the way, about the size of the guides, running guides and tip top will be the same size ?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2014 04:16PM

Yes, those will do best if they are the same size, or the tip at least one size larger. Not smaller. The sizes seem adequate for the average 8-weight line and leader combinations. Loop to loop combinations might require a larger running guide size.

Date: April 21, 2014 04:23PM

ok so i'm going for 16 to 12 for the stripper guide, than 7 for the running and finally 8 for the tip top ?

Date: April 21, 2014 04:42PM

I've checked "moucheshop" bute they do not have the size 7 for the running guides so i thinck that i'm gonna make an order in USA.

So in order to be sure I have to order size 16 and 12 stripper guide like the TLNSG Fuji Concept/ size 7 for the running guides Fuji Concept TLSG/ size 8 for the tip top but which one ? TFST ?

Have you got some good shops online where I can buy all this stuff ?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 07:48AM

Ceramic runners MUCH too heavy for any fly rod - especially that Winston. I know - this is an old, but persistent, argument for me. You will severely affect the performance of that rod. Use s/f runners if you wish - but make then REC Recoils size 2 or 3.
Herb

Date: April 22, 2014 09:34AM

You can buy lightweight ceramics - they're not all heavy. They've come a long, long way over the past 30 years. Weigh a TLSG against a Recoil. You may be quite surprised.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 09:52AM

Don't know how good they are
But
take a look at the PacBay Minima Ti single foot guides

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 22, 2014 09:57AM

They're good, and an excellent middle of the road choice.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 10:07AM

If this rod will be stored in a horizontal or under gunwhale type of rack on a boat at any point in it's life, I would stear clear of the AmTack titanium single foots. They are way too brittle and will break if you bang on them a little bit. Hard to beat the recoils in the salt.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2014 10:36AM

and they are flexible

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 25, 2014 01:26PM

Recoils ARE great in the salt, and lightweight, and durable, and flexible. Because they are flexible (but return to their original shape) you should make a couple of Forhan wraps around Recoil guide feet, single or double, to keep them from flexing out from under thread wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster