I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cracked female furrel
Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 06:55AM

I bought a returned spey rod from Cabelas and after a few tries at spey casting I noticed a small crack on a female furrel just 2 sections above the butt section.rather than rewrap I applied some zap a gap and applied another coat of finish. the crack still is visible but I believe the zap a gap and finish will do. should I rewrap after gluing or as someone said cut off the crack and rewrap. paid less than $100 for 13 ft 8 wt and can build another if I want but it looks nice ,casts well for a novice spey caster and I have a switch rod I built w/o any similar problems.
any ideas what caused crack? I use parafin as a lube when putting rod together and check regularly if I notice a misalignment of sections so I dont believe that caused the crack.
what is best way to repair and prevent another problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cracked female furrel
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2014 07:42AM

The paraffin most likely caused to much area inside the female ferrule and caused a split-out crack. Ferrules are supposed to be used, dry. Wax is too thick and can cause such problems.

It may also have been caused by not having the ferrule fully seated.

Worst case scenario - it fails and then you have to go back and enact a more permanent repair.

Date: April 19, 2014 07:42AM

The paraffin most likely caused to much area inside the female ferrule and caused a split-out crack. Ferrules are supposed to be used, dry. Wax is too thick and can cause such problems.

It may also have been caused by not having the ferrule fully seated.

Worst case scenario - it fails and then you have to go back and enact a more permanent repair.

Date: April 19, 2014 07:52AM

I have often used a lite coat of canning wax then rub off with fingers or if no wax I rub male section over nose to apply some lub. Is this a no-no

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 07:54AM

Any thing you put on or in a ferrural will hold dust and dirt better clean and dry

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 19, 2014 07:55AM

when seating sections I rotate male section while alligning to insure fully seated.

Date: April 19, 2014 06:17PM

Yes, it is a no-no. A dry ferrule generally doesn't stick and fits better.

The old U-40 Ferrule Lube (no longer made) was okay as it was a liquid and didn't add any appreciable thickness to the surfaces.

Just keep them clean and assemble as you state you do - the twist is the important part.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 06:26PM

To add to what tom has said i would think that a clean furrel will in time as it is put together and taken apart will fit better because of the two parts wareing and mating so to speck ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 08:14PM

Many of us use (like black electrical tape) on the joints of Spey rods after we assemble them to fish. The reason being that the rotations in spey casting have a tendency to loosen the joints after repetitive casts. This loosening is a very likely cause for cracking the female ferrule. If you prefer not to tape, then be sure to check the fit frequently!!

Date: April 20, 2014 08:41AM

some one else suggested the duct tape or electrical tape on the joints as you said. will do so especially on spey and switch rods and again will eliminate wax on male section. the mention of u40 liquid ferrel lub would wd40 keep the sections from binding.or is that counter productive since you said you want the parts to wear together for a better fit

Date: April 20, 2014 10:44AM

The U40 was a bit unique as it both lubricated the sections and helped them stay together better. But it's long, long out of production.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 20, 2014 12:51PM

I have successfully repaired cracked female ferrules for over 25 years by: a slightly different application of crazy glue as per above. I remove the hoop wrap on the ferrule. Then I apply a coat of paraffin wax to the male section. Next I place the male section a bit past the normal mating point..... g e n t l y . This makes the crack open up so as to be seen quite easily. Crazy glue is flooded into the crack, effectively coating the edges. The male ferrule is then withdrawn, and a q tip is inserted into the female section, and twisted a few revs, in case some glue made its way past the crack, into the bore. The wax is removed from the male section. It was there to prevent instant bonding of the two rod sections. Crazy glue is very fast. The hoop wrap is then replaced, about twice as long as it used to be. Works for me Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (73.53.107.---)
Date: April 20, 2014 05:59PM

U-40 Ferrule lube was Teflon suspended in acetone or ketone, I don/t remember which. It actually cleaned the ferrules, and then deposited a micro fine layer of Teflon on the mating surfaces. Ralph also made it in a spray can form to be used as a release agent when bedding rifle barrels to a stock that was coated with epoxy. Great product but the solvent is probably why he quit making the ferrule lube.

Date: April 20, 2014 06:16PM

They quit making it because no one would buy it.

Date: April 21, 2014 06:54PM

I thought of using a male section to open the crack after removing the thread wrap but never thought of using parafin to keep sections from being glued. I thought of the q tip to remove any zap a gap that got inside of the female. I didnt want to go that route cause I didnt have the proper thread color but when I return from Florida I will order the thread and do as you suggested. thanks for input.

Posted by: ken khoo (---.101.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: April 24, 2014 11:09PM

Ferrule lube still available under Renzetti brand

Date: April 26, 2014 12:03AM

Trondike makes a u40 ferrule lube but I cant find a dealer. can it be ordered from Trondike directly?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster