I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Odd broken rod situation.
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 17, 2014 09:08AM

Would like some ideas on this one: it may be my fault at wrapping.

I have a customer i build the same rod for about 4or 5 times a year.
Wh?: he breaks them.
Its a running joke but he pays so i am not complaining.
High stick, beat on a snake, car door, he is just plain rough on rods.
I have other folks fishing same blanks and they never break them.

So last rebuild in November i noticed the Minima4 guide foot was corroding at the tip where i had prepped it to make a nice transition.
Next rebuild did not grind down foot.

Got next broken rod yesterday and when looking saw cracks running longitudinal from the foot of 2nd guide from reel seat.
He complained guide was loose.
It was because blank was cracked, yes that will do it to a wrap.
My idea is he high sticks it and over stresses the blank so much that the unground feet dug into the blank and sort of pushed it inwards causing longitudinal cracks.
That is a major flex point on this blank.
Do not think i caused it when wrapping because the way he fishes it would of broken first time out.
But maybe? I used A thread and PG as finish so that may hide cracks for a while.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Odd broken rod situation.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2014 09:23AM

Or he may have just set something on the rod at the point where the guide is and that was what pushed it into the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 17, 2014 09:38AM

Yea -- His foot ?? LOL

Hay it is steady work

What about building a Composit blank for him Some thing stronger

Do you think others are seeing this broken rod and thinking it is the Builder ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 09:39AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 17, 2014 10:29AM

Thanks , yes i wondered about him doing a new way of killing a rod.
He has beaten one to destruction on a cotton mouth.
Bill, i already done that last night. Took a 7 ft composite of similar action/power and trimmed it up to be as close as i can make it to his usual.
Build will weigh in about .3 oz more but may last a few weeks more.
If i could get away with S Glass i would but he likes this.
I was concerned not grinding down the feet was possibly contributing with the way he pulls on a rod.
I try to build for how the guy fishes but he is a challenge.

Date: April 17, 2014 10:37AM

if this guy has No Respect for the time and care you put into your rods I don't know if I would want to build for him

It is steady work --- BUT

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 17, 2014 10:51AM

Bill,i say that every time this is the last one, then he invites me to lunch, confesses the latest thing he has done, plus pays extra so i do it.
I am mercenary i guess.
But it bugs me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2014 10:53AM

Lou,
Why don't you build him a rod that is made of solid fiberglass. He would not be able to break that one and it would only weigh about 2 1/2 times as much as the one that he has now.

We have some customers that use a lot of these rods for trolling rods on head boats. They can bang them, clang them , stomp them, use them for door closer's and they still come back for more.

Be safe

Date: April 17, 2014 10:55AM

Well
Ya can not pay your bills without money Go for it Just take a deep breath when he comes to the door LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 10:56AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 17, 2014 11:24AM

Roger,
the problem is he is coming to light tackle fishing from a very successful bass fishing background.
He want this rod because its so light.
He has about 20 other styles of mine.
But its a mentality: i will reach for a net or gaff when faced with a big fish he will try flip or lip a catch into the boat.
He stopped doing that lipping thing in salt water after and interesting blue fish encounter.
But he still sort of reaches then sanity kicks in.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 17, 2014 12:17PM

Sounds to me like you need to find a lighter blank for him - that way you get the return business quicker... Just sayin'

His name wouldn't be Bill Dance would it?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 17, 2014 12:58PM

tell him bamboo rods are making a comeback. if you can walk across the rod without it breaking it's got to be strong. plus for the cost of a new bamboo rod maybe he will take better care of it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2014 01:38PM

Lou,
I expected as much.

You right, if a person goes from a bass fishing background to fishing for other species, some of the old habits are tough to unlearn.

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2014 11:19PM

Lou
You know in the post above you have described the perfect set up for a "high stick" failure and you're right it's a mentality thing. When his pockets get shallower he'll reform his ways. Until then 'cha-ching' with every flip over the gunwale.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster