I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guide pull out?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2014 07:49PM

IMHO

The feet should be Prepped Filing the underside and sanding the top For Grip Smooth feet will slid out from under the thread easier Plus good tension and locking rape

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: April 15, 2014 10:13PM

sorry double post

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 11:21PM by Barry Chapman.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: April 15, 2014 10:13PM

G'Day Chester yes I increase the tension as I wrap the last 2-3 guides as the flex in the rod increases .I don't know which of us is right or wrong all I can say is that it works for me & never have had a problem with loose guides .I guess I should also mention that I move the rod supports as close as I can get them . Also I also use a "Forhan" lock wrap

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2014 10:20PM

Check your guide feet.
If you have a smooth taper on the guide foot form the leg to the tip of the guide does not have an inset, you don't have a good mechanical lock on the guides.
If I run into a guide like that, I will just use a dremel tool to cut a couple of small notches into the foot of the guide. This gives a good mechanical lock of the guide thread into the notches and onto the blank.

I have also had a few misshapen guides that have essentially a flat back on the bottom of the guide. With this shape, the guide foot doesn't follow the radius of the blank.

If I see a guide like this I will just touch the bottom of the guide to a smaller wheel on my belt sander to sand a radius into the bottom of the guide so that it both slightly roughens the guide as well as to better shape the guide foot underside to match the chape of the blank.

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2014 10:22PM

Chester,
I agree with Barry on increasing the thread tension as I move toward the tip. In a lot of cases, the thread tension does not in fact change so much but on a fine tipeed rod, you often will get some blank bending that can make the thread want to be a bit looser.

Be safe

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2014 07:30AM

Need more tension ... and be sure there is at least a small amount of epoxy in the "tunnel". If there is, the guide would have to ride up and over this, like a "speedbump", thus only stretching the threads even tighter in order to come out. Just can't happen if there's enough tension to begin with.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.81.---)
Date: April 16, 2014 08:16AM

Sounds like more than just tension, although I would try more to see if it helps. It sounds like there is no significant bond between the CP and the blank, which can be caused by contamination on the surfaces (I've done lots of titanium chrome finish blanks with no special prep and no issues) or maybe bad CP. If your CP is old, I'd replace it, then on the next try increase the tension, use a Forhan loop, and make sure the guide and blank surfaces are clean and dry. If you have another blank similar to this one you might try an experimental wrap under where the grip or reel seat will go to see if you have the problem solved.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.81.---)
Date: April 16, 2014 08:33AM

I should have added that when all conditions are right, even with CP, removing cured epoxy is not an easy task. If when you take the windings off you find they come off easily, I expect bonding due to factors above is the problem. If they are very hard to get off the blank, then maybe it's just tension.

Posted by: Chad Hefflinger (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 16, 2014 08:13PM

The wraps did come off easily(thank goodness)except for the end trim bands, I think because the epoxy on the end carried over directly to the blank and last couple trim bands. I will re-wrap this weekend and let you all know. Based on all your input and some decisions on my end, I will rough up the guide feet, Forhan wrap, increase tension, and use different thread with no cp. thanks again for all the ideas.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2014 10:24PM

Thread tension was off. Also use a forhan wrap

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 06:42PM

A single foot guide is secured by epoxy and one set of thread wrappings which must endure considerable leverage. A double foot guide is secured by epoxy and twice as many thread wrappings which are not subject to much leverage. These facts should influence the decisions of a rod builder or customer. If you pursue small fish and take care to protect your tackle then single-foot guides are the obvious best choice.

Date: April 19, 2014 06:54PM

THE TREAD HOLDS THE GUIDES IN PLACE
CP and Finish only keep the eliments from harming the thread

If I am wrong some one please Correct Me

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 06:57PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 07:43PM

Right you are, Bill. I should have written "A one foot guide is secured one layer of thread thread protected by a layer of epoxy, both of which are subjected to considerable leverage, while a two-foot guide is secured by two layers of thread, each protected by a layer of epoxy, but subjected to relatively little leverage." I still maintain that a one-foot guide is the best choice for light-duty, light line rods whose owners take care in their handling and transportation.

Date: April 19, 2014 07:53PM

You are right Phil

I also consider the guide prep as a why to hold guides on a rod
if the feet are smooth the foot will be easier to pull out So I generally at least sand all feet Single or double foot with 220 or 320 grit paper wet but do it dry to give more grip so as not to Slide out from under the thread

Then there is a way if one wants to bother and do a locking wrap on double foot guides
After putting in the pull loop one can always cut a long piece of thread and do maybe two turns of a Forhan wrap -- just to be sure
I have not tried it yet but it is a good idea ?? maybe Overkill ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster