I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K's vs PacBay Match guides
Posted by: Mike Young (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2014 07:14PM

I've done 3 builds using the Fuji K series guides, 2 sets in titanium and one with stainless steel all using alconite rings. I was looking through the PacBay catalogue and saw that they have just come out with titanium match guides with zirconia rings. They have had available TiCh framed match guides with sic rings. Both of these guides caught my attention as to possible alternatives to fuji K's.

Fast forward a few weeks and I had the opportunity to re wrap a size 10 pacbay match guide, they had ss frames with what I think are hialoy rings. Out of curiosity I weighed the guide. I was shocked to find it weighed ~13.1 grains. Fuji k's in a size 10 high frame in stainless steel weigh ~22 grains and in titanium ~14.8grains. The pacbay guide is just 3mm shorter in height than the fuij guide. The fuji does have a 4.5mm longer foot.

So the $1.66 guide weighs less than my $9.39 titanium guide, I'm not too thrilled about that.

Switching to match guides I'd give up the tangle free technology, which isn't a big deal for me. I don't use braid and was originally drawn to the weight savings of the k series guides using fuji's guide placement. From what I've read zirconia is similar to alconite so that is a draw. Are there any other differences that I'm not aware of between the match and k series guides? I think evening using titanium framed match guides it would cost 50% of what the equivalent fuji's do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K's vs PacBay Match guides
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2014 09:32PM

the minimas are lighter than the original M frame and the titanium minimas are very light. I haven't weighed them, but Vic Cutter handed me a set at the ICRBE and I could tell immediately the difference in my hand

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 10, 2014 10:34PM

I have use lots of Pac Bay match guides with mono and braid - they always worked well. Go with Titanium Minima's and you'll lighten that rod enough you'll really notice it.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2014 01:27PM

depends on how much abuse the rod will get, I use both, fujis will hold up to a lot more abuse, where as the pac bays can easily be bent. If its a bass rod I always use fujis K series, rod lockers and bass fisherman are tough on guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 18, 2014 11:10PM

Pac Bay guides have been used on the best manufacturer"s rods for a long time, including the match guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster