I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Full Time Builders and Epoxy Work
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 10, 2014 03:08PM

Any guys out there that build a lot of rods on this one - Do you do anything special for ventilation on epoxy work, or any other precautions?

Any idea what the rod factories do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Full Time Builders and Epoxy Work
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2014 03:52PM

Hi,

A good question. Yes, the epoxy smell does permeate the home. I work in my family room and wish I had a good ventilation system especially in the winter months. During the summer I can open windows.

I took this route and purchased an AUSTIN HEALTHMATE filtering system. This unit filters out chemical odors. It is not inexpensive but does what I need. The filter lasts about 5 years before I replace it.

It works for me and also takes dog odors away.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.80.---)
Date: April 10, 2014 05:16PM

I have never noticed epoxy odors. First time I've heard of this as an issue. But I admit I never have more than one rod going at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2014 05:21PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2014 05:50PM

There are no "fumes" from epoxy, only some aromatic scents. They won't hurt you. In fact, the larger danger from epoxy is coming into contact with it. If you use a lot of it, make sure to wear gloves when you do.

I do understand that some people are still uncomfortable with the scent contained in many epoxies.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2014 07:06PM

I personally like the epoxy scent.....

Date: April 10, 2014 09:06PM

Thanks Tom - my brother and I went full time in to the rod business, building a lot of rods (14 spinning today on the dryers).

I got a little concerned about health issues from epoxy "fumes", as I can smell it - not bad, but some.

We have a lot of open air and tall ceilings in the rod shop. Anything you'd recommend for safety as far as breathing, or where to look? I wear nitrile gloves for all epoxy work.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2014 09:31PM

The danger is in becoming "sensitized" to the amines in the hardener. You can look into the sort of apparatus that automotive painters wear to go the full mile.

Date: April 10, 2014 10:01PM

I have read on becoming "sensitized" to the amines some. In all my reading I didn't find any "real" health risks like it be a carcinogen, nerve damage, etc. In those respects it seems pretty safe from what I found - would you agree or do I need to do more homework?

Posted by: Roy Hennagir (---.sub-70-197-206.myvzw.com)
Date: April 10, 2014 10:08PM

Request a material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the chemicals you use in your shop. The manufacturers of the product will provide them upon request. It will explain what precautions you need to be taking.

Posted by: Roy Hennagir (---.sub-70-197-206.myvzw.com)
Date: April 10, 2014 10:08PM

Request a material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the chemicals you use in your shop. The manufacturers of the product will provide them upon request. It will explain what precautions you need to be taking.

Date: April 10, 2014 10:32PM

Just checked the FlexCoat MSDS on line - it looks like no real health hazards other than irritation.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 08:06AM

Finish is not the only thing you use to build rods

get some kind of ventilation

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 11:23AM

I use a Honeywell air filter beside the rod bench and it goes a long way toward reducing this problem.

As others have mentioned, I am one of the folks that have become very sensitized to the amines in hardener. I am not bothered by epoxy much, but I can no longer use the epoxy pain that has much stronger fumes.

Yes, fumes and or chemicals can cause an issue for any one under long term use.

Air ventilation is always a good idea for any sort of activity that involves dust, fumes, or chemicals of any sort.

Be safe

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: April 16, 2014 09:45PM

No odor from epoxy.

My first wife hated epoxy and finish smells. New wife and she doesnt smell anything. problem solved.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 17, 2014 11:51AM

Kevin

Funny If one don't work Get another LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster