I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thank you Larry Tobin & LRT (Custom labeling system)
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 04:19PM

One hour from delivery to printing labels! I'm still playing with all that can be done with the printer but I consider this the best equipment investment I've made in rod building for the past several years. The gold on clear and silver on clear labels are crisp & clean. I did have to call Larry with one silly question "How to open the printer" - and feel a little sheepish that it was so easy to do. For that "THANK YOU" for being patient & answering the question over the phone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank you Larry Tobin & LRT (Custom labeling system)
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 04:38PM

I also called Larry with a silly question, found my error, but before I could call him and apologize, HE CALLED ME!!
How's that for service!! Also printed labels within 1 hour even after all this.
By the way, he answers phone calls LATE.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: April 03, 2014 05:00PM

Guys what scripts can be printed? How about business logo? I'm assuming it's peel and stick, if so, how thick is the film.

Gabe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2014 05:09PM

Because you can import any graphic or logo from your computer, it will pretty much print anything.

How are you guys making out with the clear backed labels? Are you getting them to disappear entirely under epoxy?

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 06:13PM

I got mine delivered today, can't wait to give it a try.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2014 06:15PM

I love mine......just hoping the silver and gold on clear in 1" will be available soon.......

Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.130.---)
Date: April 03, 2014 08:26PM

"How are you guys making out with the clear backed labels? Are you getting them to disappear entirely under epoxy? "

Tom, that is my question too. Would be happy to see more pictures of finished labels, specifically clear backed labels from the guys that are making the initial leap.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: April 03, 2014 08:30PM

I've done pretty well, but you have to really apply pressure to the label to get it completely transparent. No doubt there is some sort of makeshift too that'll do the job. I had done a few prior to the Expo and had good results, but not quite perfect.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 09:09PM

Tom, What do you mean by "not perfect". Lance from Swampland posted a photo of a label he did and his looked great.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 09:12PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 09:13PM

;Mine showed up today but havent even had time to set it up yet. Probably wait until Sat and get my web designer and computer guru to help me thru it since I am not all that computer friendly.

Ron Weber

Date: April 03, 2014 09:19PM

It is possible to find a slight cloudiness in some portions of the clear. At least I had this happen a bit. Larry and I talked about it. This isn't a problem with the label, but in the application. It's important to get the label pressed sharply onto the blank surface to ensure that doesn't happen. I'm thinking there is probably a makeshift tool that could be employed to make the job easy and almost automatic every time.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 09:34PM

I purchased the label maker at the show as well. I made several labels and placed them on scrap blanks for an experiment. I found that if I removed the backing with the tip of an exacto knife, carefully placed it on the blank, then used a small roller with some good pressure I had the best results. When applied without much pressure I got the cloudy appearance. The point of the exacto allowed me to remove from paper without using the finger and the subsequent fingerprint imprint. I tried this method on matt, glossy, and titanium chrome finishes and the most difficult was the matt. I tried also with finish down first, let dry then the next day applied the label and had the same results as if I did not put any finish down first. My findings were that the rolling with pressure gave the best results. By the way Larry is a great guy and his service after the sell is outstanding. One of the best purchases I have made for the craft to date.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 10:00PM

I have the hardest time to get the slight line on the edge to disappear on white blanks with the clear labels. On dark blanks you have to look real hard to notice it and then it's very slight. I tried one on a blank with finish applied to the blank first and the label edges became virtually invisable. The black label on a matte black blank is perfect and the background disappears onto the blank.

Lance

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 10:19PM

Tom, I know that a lot of adheasve backed labels come with a clear removeable film over them that helps with aplication, and then some don't. The one's that don't are applied by using a piece of scotch tape on top before you peel the adheasve layer off the bottom. Then by holding the extended ends of the scotch tape, you lay it in position on the blank, apply pressure so that it sticks to the blank, and then pull off the scotch tape.
I have not unpacked my label maker yet, probely this weekend when I get time, and then will expeirment to see if I have those problems.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: April 03, 2014 10:56PM

Gabe -
I haven't tried importing graphics on mine yet. I just set up and ran off two gold and two silver on clear, Applied them to the blank. They came out perfect on a glossy blank and on a matte finished blank. I put them on at the center point and used a round smooth dowel to push them down firmly. I put epoxy on them and they look good. The only thing I don't care for is that I can't print multiple lines on the 1/2" wide label tape -- but that could be me not playing around with the different settings. I needed the labels so I printed them linearly and sectioned them off to stack them one above the other.

Date: April 03, 2014 11:15PM

Ken,
You can print two lines one on top of the other. Print your first line of text then hit enter and it will drop below. The more I play with this label maker I find more it can do. You can also print the background color of the tape and the letters clear.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 11:16PM

I am think a small rubberized burnishing roller would work really well, but haven't tried to find or make one yet. Should only have to be aronun 1 or 11/2 wide. I know the make wider ones, but not really necessary.

Ron Weber

Date: April 03, 2014 11:47PM

What I found was at the paint store, a small 3" roller. The roller part is a dowel and I covered it with a layer of masking tape and it worked fine.

Pat

Date: April 04, 2014 12:09AM

Duh -oh...
Now why didn't I think of that (hit return). Can you also change font sizes on different lines? I guess I just need to play around with this more!

Date: April 04, 2014 01:11AM

Ken,
Yes you can. This thing will do everything but rip a 2X4...

Pat

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster