I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice rod blank options
Posted by: jason henderson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2013 05:31PM

I am looking for some additional options for ice rod blanks. Checked out mudhole & Jann's. Looking for options like Thorne Bros for a more reasonable price. What other options are our there?
Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice rod blank options
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2013 05:54PM

Jason,
we have just received 5 new models of carbon blanks and one solid glass which haven't been put up on the site yet. These blanks are available now.

CIB-24ML-MHX.....Finesse..... 24".....2-6 lb.
FIB-26UL-MHX......Power Noodle..... 26".....1-6 lb.
CIB-28UL-MHX.....SCB28UL.....28"......1-4 lb.
CIB-32UL-MHX.....Quiverstick.....32".....1-4 lb.
CIB-36MLMF-MHX..... Panfish Sweet Heart.....36".....2-6 lb.
CIB-36MH-MHX..... Professional.....36".....8-5 lb

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 07, 2013 07:21PM

Todd,

Is there any way to get different lengths on those rods? I am looking for a 30" power noodle for hole hoping.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2013 07:59PM

Remember, you can take any longer blank, chop the butt to the length that you need, and you are good to go.

if you are using a solid handle say 7 inches long, you can always put a blank around the butt of the blank and extend any of these blanks by up to about 4 inches.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 09:28PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: October 07, 2013 08:00PM

Jason,
You can take any solid fiberglass or graphite blank and turn a stiffer rod into a faster action rod, simply by spinning the blank and using sand paper to remove material until you have the taper and power that you want.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2013 09:18PM

Todd Vivian,

The new blanks you list have similar or the same name as some of the Thorne brother blanks. Are they one in the same, or are these names common to classes of ice blanks?

Date: October 08, 2013 09:22AM

John,
These were common references to models requested by customers.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: October 08, 2013 10:16AM

Todd,
No one else has exactly the same blanks as the Thorne brothers blanks since the Thorne Brothers blanks are designed by Thorne brothers staff and are then built and ground to their own specifications by a supplier of their choice.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 08, 2013 10:45AM

Todd,

Thanks for the clarification. Are you able to provide any additional info, for instance high-vis tip coloring or butt/tip sizing on some of the more powerful models?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2013 10:49AM

here is there site You should be able to find that buy contacting them

[www.thornebros.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 08, 2013 11:01AM

John,
the specs should be up on our site today.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 08, 2013 01:39PM

Bill,

It is my understanding that Todd has written that Mudhole is not reselling blanks MFG for Thorne Bros. or MFG to Thorne Bros specs, so providing a link to Thorne Bros'. website to learn what Mudhole's specs are, unfortunately, won't be very helpful (other than in a general way to learn about Thorne Bros. rod/blank actions - this, while helpful, is not what I was looking for).

Todd,

Okay, I'll give you all a chance to update your site today and I'll take a look for the info tomorrow, thanks.

Date: October 08, 2013 03:55PM

[www.mudhole.com]

5 of the 6 new models are listed now.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: October 09, 2013 09:23AM

All,
i have ordered and have in my hands a couple of each of the Mud Hole ice rod blanks. All I can say is WOW. Very high quality and really nice specific actions. I have had in my shop in the last two nights 4 ice fishing guides and 1 multi-state ice fishing tournament organizer and they all put in multiple rod orders. I am shipping orders for these rods already to Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Minnesota and I just got them in the shop. Regardless of the price when you see the quality of these blanks they will surpass ANYTHING that is out there. When you see the price it will blow the competition away.

Mud Hole I hope you made a BUNCH of these.

Buzz

Posted by: chip burdick (---.63.130.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 13, 2013 07:53AM

Todd, do you know when you expect these in,FIB-26UL-MHX......Power Noodle..... 26".....1-6 lb. It sounds like what I am looking for. with the season around the corner. I will be ordering a few of the new blanks available and try them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster