I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Fuji Torzite guides
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns9.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 03, 2013 08:37AM

I only just saw the link to this information on these. They sounds very interesting indeed.
Has anybody seen any yet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Fuji Torzite guides
Posted by: Ladd Flock (128.36.9.---)
Date: October 03, 2013 09:52AM

Details:
[www.kowafuji.com]

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 03, 2013 10:29AM

Torzite® is a joint effort between Fuji engineers and KYOCERA®, the world's leading developer of high-grade, task-specific ceramics. It is the first ceramic ever developed SPECIFICALLY as a guide ring material from it's inception. We are preparing literature and specifications on Torzite® now and we will be introducing Torzite® in Titanium frames late in the year.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2013 05:22PM

ultra lite to med hvy or will surf guides be offered

Date: October 04, 2013 09:25AM

Titanium KW Double Foot Guides will be available from a 5.5 up to a 40, including 30L and 40L

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 09:57AM

They look like Fuji's surf guides

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 11:39AM

"Engineers," "high-grade," and "task-specifc" all sound encouraging. I hope the promised Torzite specifications include Rockwell hardness and tensile strength. It would be even better if they compared these measurable, objective qualities to those of the competition. That might be difficult since objective measurements are scarce in advertising of parity products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2013 11:40AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: October 04, 2013 12:29PM

Bill: The KW in larger sizes definitely fills the bill for surf rods but it is also the go to casting stripper for many freshwater rods in size 10 and 12 and a perfect transition guide on casting rods in sizes down to 5.5.

Phil: Info is trickling in and Fuji always compares themselves to themselves to avoid bashing the competition. What we do know is that Torzite® is lighter, more fracture resistant and accepts a much higher polish than SiC. If Fuji puts numbers on those specs we will pass them along but since it is new and proprietary we doubt they will provide too much.

Date: October 04, 2013 01:08PM

Thanks, Jim. Were I marketing a superior product I would not hesitate to advertise its superior physical properties, even if (ESPECIALLY if) my product made theirs look like a penny waiting for change. A "higher polish" is difficult to quantify but certainly does result in less friction. Hardness and tensile strength are commonly accepted and easily determined.

Date: October 04, 2013 03:29PM

We do have a "smoothness" number on Torzite®. I don't know if you have ever seen Fuji's line "sawing" test where they move the line back and forth under load through an SiC ring and a competitive ring and see which line is worn through and breaks first. They do this test at trade sows but they also do it in a lab under very controlled conditions. In those tests the competition snaps at around 322 cycles while SiC makes it to 764. Way better than competitive rings.

Torzite® breaks at 3100!! It is approximately 406% LESS ABRASIVE than SiC. Pretty much eliminates "line drag" from the equation.

Date: October 04, 2013 06:52PM

Now THAT kind of information should sway the most skeptical customer.

Date: October 07, 2013 10:38AM

Tip of the iceberg, Phil.

Posted by: scott clarke (101.119.15.---)
Date: October 07, 2013 10:11PM

all sounds very good but how much will they cost? there comes a point when the extra performance is simply not worth the price. you'll all agree that SiC rings are pretty good & quite expensive. so are Fuji coing down the gold cerment road again? your thoughts!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2013 01:18AM

Unless you are using wire most and even all of the rings out will work and work well

Like stated how much ??? Bottom line Hit a customer with a high price And they go pick a rod - OFF THE SHELF

Unless they want to beleve the HYPE

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (203.62.205.---)
Date: October 08, 2013 03:00AM

From what I read they are taking advantage of the properties to reduce the amount of material used for the ring to end up with similar properties in some areas to what SIC offers. One area that remains well in front is the abrasive properties and if you're happy with the other rings you use then that is fine. Apart from this part, the major plus I see with these guides due to their approach in the reduction in ring material is the weight reduction in he guide train. For some that is a big thing and will yield a more sensitive rod and so on. I would like to try some for a personal build I want to do as for this build I am truing to get a light rod and the TORZITE guides will do just that. I've heard they are 20 to 30% more than the Titanium K frame SICs so basically they are as dear as poison but some people will pay for the weight advantages. For this build that is all I am interested in.

Date: October 08, 2013 10:20AM

TORZITE will redefine the term "high end"... it's expensive. And, like all things Fuji, they will offer it only in Titanium to start. TORZITE® will be the obvious choice when someone wants you to build "the best rod money can buy". Still, if you look at the dollars and cents, you can get into TORZITE® AND enjoy the benefits for a few extra bucks. First, use TORZITE® on runners only. Second, because of the larger ID offered in TORZITE®, you can downsize the runners by one size and still have the same ID. So, if a size 5 titanium KT SiC costs $6.69 (MSRP) and a size 4.5 Titanium TORZITE® costs around $8.25 (not positive on this number yet but close), your cost increase based on 5 running guides (average 7 ft spinning rod) is less than 8 bucks. 8 bucks for an upper section that's 4 times less abrasive, 20% lighter and stronger than SiC. Not too bad. Plus, all the TORZITE® guides have a really cool laser etched TORZITE® logo on the frame.

We realize that TORZITE is not for everyone, but there will be a few rods around 6 months from now that will raise the bar (and some eyebrows). If you're not a "bar raiser" you might like Fuji's new CONCEPT "O" guides. Fuji has modified their Aluminum Oxide ring to be deep-pressed and will offer the MN LN and L frames as well as F tops with CONCEPT "O" rings. These will be the most affordable concept guides in Fuji's history.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 08, 2013 10:48AM

Jim,

It's nice to see that Fuji continues to improve their product line at various price points, not just the bleeding edge.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 08, 2013 04:06PM

Jim how do we get a hold of the Torzites? I'm very keen to use some on a personal build.

Date: October 08, 2013 04:22PM

We have three little zip lock bags with one set up in each bag (7 or 8 guides of various sizes). As far as I know, that is the TOTAL inventory of TORZITE in the US at this moment. They are "photo samples". Our orders are placed and we anticipate delivery in December with product on shelves by the first of the year. We will send a newsletter as soon as they are available. You can sign up at our web site, [www.anglersresource.net] if you want to know as soon as they arrive.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.169.170.---)
Date: October 08, 2013 04:58PM

Awesome thank you!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster