I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trolling Rod for Gulf Grouper???
Posted by: BobH (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2001 10:26AM

I would like to build a rod for trolling large lures made by Mann called Stretch 25+ and 30+. Essentially these lures reach depths of 30 feet or more without the need for downriggers or planers. They are well established as great lures for trolling the shallow ledges and rockpiles in the Gulf off the west coast of Florida for gag and red grouper. Anyway, I was hoping someone out there may have made or come across an excellent setup for this application. Any hardware recommendations would also be great.

TIA

Bob H (aka Bayport Bob)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trolling Rod for Gulf Grouper???
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 02, 2001 12:57PM

Bob,
I know of a rodbuilder in the Gulf area having great success with grouper rods just for your application. Several blanks come to mind, and one we have supplied is the Rainshadow E Glass S/W 30# class. We will soon have available also a 40# class ideal for the situation you describe. Suggest use of xtra h.d. boat guides in a spiral wrap configuration. We supply Forecast components you might want to consider for this use and also are very good on the pocketbook.

Fishing on the gulf our vacation proved to be a learning experience and understand better what to be used for equipment. Personally used a heavy duty S/W Shikari graphite blank with the spiral setup and worked beautifully on snapper and could easily handle grouper, depending on the nature of the experience of the dude behind the rod. The grouper won the battle on me this time, but I can assure the custom rod being used was of great benefit over the others that were factory built...being more with stability, no line problems, and fit to balance well with the reel setup.

Any questions about the stuff you need or more info, please contact me and I'll direct you for further interest or the good source of supplies for your grouper rod.

Rich
Richard's Rod Reel
info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Petro Chem (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: November 02, 2001 03:33PM

Hi Bob-

I guess a lot would depend on whether the rod would be designed strictly for trolling, or does it need to do double duty as something else, like bottom fishing or casting?

If it's just for trolling, I would go with an E-glass blank, especially if you use a spectra mainline to get your plug running deep. Grouper- even the little ones, can slam a lure with a tremendous amount of force, and a durable E-glass blank is a great shock absorber! If you use a braided spectra line, you don't need a blank with a stiff tip to set the hook, but you do need a lot of backbone.

For trolling, I would probably put a 10" slick butt on it, and an aluminum gimbal. Aftco seat. I like a long foregrip of hypolon. I would go with a Seeker Classic 6460 (6') or 6465 (6.5') series to suit line test used. Maybe a 4/0 Senator or small lever drag reel filled with spectra. Mann's Stretch Plug (like you mentioned), small Yozuri bonitas, Magnum Rapalas, too. Shallow water grouper fishing is pretty exciting- the strike is hard and their swim bladders don't inflate and hinder their fight. They'll dog you all the way to the boat! Good fun.

Posted by: BobH (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2001 10:38AM

Thanks all for the input. If I could make a double duty rod that, of course, would be better. The double duty would be as you described - bottom fishing &/or jigging. I probably wouldn't be doing a whole lot of casting - (still haven't mastered the fine art of backlash removal!) And I would be using spectra braid to get the lure down a little deeper. Do any other blanks come to mind for a dual use application? Would you use any special guides? I'll definitely be using a spiral setup.

Thanks again

Bob H

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2001 10:58AM

Bob you might also try the Seeker JB70 or 80 depending on the length you like.The JB 80 could also be a great tarpon rod.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2001 11:37AM

Bob should have added the slick grip and Aftco are the way to go for a serious rod,I would also suggest spending more up front and go for SIC guides.

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2001 12:42AM

Talk to Todd at Lamiglas about their composite blanks. work great for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster