I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Blank?
Posted by: Jimmy (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2001 02:12AM

Hello all,

I am interested in all of your opinions on this subject. I want to build another bad boy shark rod for my penn 12/0 but I am not sure what blank to pick. I wanted to make the rod 4'10" max with an aftco short bent butt. The two blanks I am looking into are a Calstar Baja Boomer rated or a Seeker long range stand-up tuna blank Mod: STS59XXXH, length: 5'9", line rating: 80-130, Butt: 1.050 & Tip: 14. I do not have the money to go out and buy a status blank right now so I figured I would just try with one of these blanks. I want a rod that when finished has a tip that loads nice and is working for me while fighting a big fish instead of a real stiff rod where I have to do all the work. which blank would you guys pick. I plan to fish straight 80lb. mono but may go as high a 100lb test line. Oh and do any of you know whether a penn 12/0 will fit in the reel seat of the aftco short bent butt if it doesn't I may to go with the Alutecnos butt.

Jimmy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Blank?
Posted by: Petro Chem (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: November 02, 2001 10:53AM

Hi Jimmy-

You really need to pull on either blank first- while taking measurements (for blank cutting) to determine if a particular blank will suit your application and physical limitations.

First make a mark where the blank has an O.D. of .875" at the butt. That mark will let you know the furthest point from the tip where cutting is possible without sacrificing blank wall thickness. If you build with a #2 Unibutt, .875" is a standard reference point. It also represents the furthest point where the blank is inserted into the ferrule. Then make another mark toward the butt to represent what would be the actual length with a Unibutt installed.

Once you have made your marks, you are ready to start pulling. You get to hold the rod as if you were fighting a fish. Have a friend grab the tip and pull down firmly. Then have your friend shift to a another point further from the tip, and try again and again until you find that you can't balance against the load. When you find that point, put a piece of tape on the tip to mark it. When it's time to install the tiptop, knowing where NOT to cut is crucial.

Although you could use either blank for your intended application (either one could be modified- I have used the TS59 for this but not the Baja Boomer), I would go with the Seeker CTSF 55XXXH.

Here's why: 1)the CTSF 55XXXH has the beef you need in this type of rod. Construction is graphite/glass for a little more lifting power when the blank is loaded.

Butt diameter is about .920 (Unibutt #2 ferrule is .875) as opposed to 1.050 or 1.175 for the other blanks. This will give you more flexibility when it comes time to determine where to cut the blank at the butt end for the Unibutt ferrule.

In terms of the reel, your 12/0 will fit, but you will have to unscrew the ferrule in order to be able to get the locking rings and sliding hood open wide enough to accept it. I don't have any "80-class" reels that fit a UB2 without this hassle.

Jimmy- although my link on the left is not active yet, I do have everything you need to build this type of tackle- I have the CTSF 55 XXXH, the Wind-On's, Aftco butts, etc. Feel free to e-mail if you need any help with component selection or construction technique.

Tom Kohl
Petrochemical Rods

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster