I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wicked Tuna
Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2013 01:57PM

I love watching the show Wicked Tuna. On the last show they showed the Hard Merchandise sunk. He lost everything rods reels. What type of rods do they use. I thought about us at the forum building a couple rods for him. I have some Pac Bay blanks here and was wondering if anyone else knows about the equipment they use?

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wicked Tuna
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 02:29PM

Forrest,
Figure that the average weight of those Tuna is 350 lbs.
They also commonly use very large line with roller guides.
Since they are commercial fisherman, they have no interest in playing the fish. The longer the fish fight, the lower the quality of the fish and the poorer the market price.

So, they want a sturdy stick that will never break, and be able to handle the rigors of day in and day out salt water fishing.

Yes, I agree, that we also really like the Hard Merchandise and crew.

But, even though his boat sunk, with all of the rods and reels, there really will be no damage to either the rods or the reels in the shallow harbor waters.

After the boat is raised, the rods and reels will be washed and dried. The reels will be disassembled, cleaned, relubricated and the rods and reels put back together.
A day of underwater immersion in salt water really hurts nothing.

Pretty much the same is true for the rest of the things on the boat.

Raise the boat, wash everything down - including the engine.
Drain all of the fluids, Pull the spark plugs. put flushing oil in the engine and spin over the engine to blow out the oil. Put the plugs back in, fill the engine with fluids and you will be good to go.

The big issue with the boat will be the electronics, and the wiring. The salt water will play havoc with all of the wiring and connections. Quite likely that all of the electronics will have to be replaced.

Of course, the big question of the day, is whether the boat will be raised and repaired or simply replaced with a newer rig. This boat is one of the oldest in the fleet and has seen a huge amount of use.
Sometimes it is just better to move on.

Of course, that is why all of these boats carry insurance. Not good, but his insurance should cover about 90% of his losses.

However, if someone were willing to step up to the plate and give him another Tuna rod, I am sure that he would be very thankful.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 02:35PM

like Roger said

Plus I would think he has Insurance so it is all paid for ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (216.52.207.---)
Date: May 17, 2013 02:38PM

[www.gloucestertimes.com]

boat is afloat and probably already fishing

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 03:25PM

There are customs on most of the boats. Pretty cool a westcoast builder is on deck of the Hard Merchandise though. ;)

Side note but I laugh everytime they show a fish bite on a certain combo then during the fight cut to video of other combos. Like wait, wasnt that a silver reel with green line that hooked up, now its a gold reel with red line and back to the silver one. LOL. I'm sure many of you have noticed this too.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: May 17, 2013 03:37PM

I would imagine a good number of the blanks are calstar and seeker. If I was tuna fishing for money they would be on my very short list.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 05:39PM

The rods are most likely rated for 80-130# test line. I have seen Aftco Big Foot guides on a number of the rods, Tycoon Fin-Nor on others, and some newer make rollers on still others. The reels mainly seem to be Penn Internationals, and the curved butts appear to be mainly Aftco. A number of the fore-grips appear to be leather wrapped, and one or two looked like they might be hypalon. Adam is right, I have seen them hook a fish on one set-up and in the next scene they are playing the fish on an entirely different set up. I would also be that the producers of the show will pick up whatever isn't covered by insurance. They may be using unlimited class rod blanks, but I have a couple of them and I couldn't bend them for the life of me. I even braced one and both of my daughters (about 150#'s total) didn't bend it one inch!!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 05:43PM

also they get paid for being on the show along with their insurance so i doubt they are paying any money out of pocket at all even if they were to get a newer boat...but still good to think about them

Date: May 17, 2013 06:00PM

Forrest,
Several years ago, I was fishing with a friend on his boat. We came in after a day of fishing and tied the boat up to the dock. Normally, I would take my gear up to the cabin, but since we were going out early in the morning. I left my gear on the boat.
Imagine my surprise when I went down the next morning and found the boat sunk at the dock.

Basically the same thing had happened to my friends boat as was the case with the Hard Merchandise. A fitting on the livewell pump had broken, allowing the boat to flood and sink. We had a4 whee drive truck, so took the truck down the lawn at the resort with the trailer on it, backed the trailer up to the boat. As we began to winch, we were also pumping out water - courtesy of a big sump pump from the resort.
After the boat was back on the trailer, we pulled it up to the parking lot, where we dried out things. I pulled out the broken livewell pump, my friend had gone into town to purchase a new pump. We put in the pump and went fishing that afternoon and evening.

It turned out that the boat sunk level with the gunnels on the boat, but the power head of the motor remained above water.
Also, none of the electronic instruments got wet.

So, always be prepared for the unexpected.

By the way, do you know the pain that is caused by having to go through your tackle box, taking everything out, drying everything, taking the reels apart, cleaning and lubing them, and washing and drying all of the rods.

We were just happy, as the Captain of Hard Merchandise was, that it didn't happen when fishing. I imagine that the fitting broke on the way back to the resort. As long as speed is kept up, the livewell inlet is out of the water. But as soon as the boat slows, the water begins to pour into the boat through the bottom hole in the hull.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2013 06:19PM

It was just a thought. I know that if I was in that situation it would be nice to have a little help if any. He had a lot of bad luck this past year.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Date: May 17, 2013 06:50PM

It was an excellent thought Forrest!!If everyone had such thoughts the world would be a much better place!!

Date: May 17, 2013 08:06PM

X10 on your thoughtfulness Forrest.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 08:18PM

The HM is fishing and he has plenty of rods. My rods were in Seasons 1 and 2 and will be in season 3 also. In talking to a couple of the guys up there, there is definitely no shortage of rod builders that are throwing their rods at them to fish. They are throwing rods at all of the boats in the hopes that they will get some business from it, yet they never talk about the rods or the builders. One guy up there threw 4 rods to every boat at an expense of about 5-7K, and when he wanted them talked about on the show, they said "Well, we (National Geographic) don't really care about what arrangement you have with the boats, if you want them on the show, you need to pay us our licensing fee, which is in excess of $75,000.

As for the blanks, the fishery has definitely changed over the last 5 years. It used to be simply 130's, but now has evolved into exotic blanks with characteristics that are more suited to the demands of the fishery and the conditions that they experience. Very few serious tunamen use the 130's anymore, but a couple still do.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 08:23PM

I have a Fisher #13072 up in my rafters . Would that fit the build?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 17, 2013 08:30PM

Dennis, will try to find my old Ffisher catalog, but if I am not mistaken that is a 6 foot rod blank rated for 130# test line. Back then it would have been a blank made for chair fishing after the hook up. Possibly with a wood butt and a chrome/brass HD reel seat made by Varmac. Made for tuna and Marlin fishing. Could be wrong, but that is my bet.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 08:40PM

Randy, Your right about those specs. Thats what the label says. There is also a price tag on the blank of $284.
Was that the going price when that blank was available?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 17, 2013 08:48PM

Dennis, I found the 1988 catalog, and it lists the following:

Boat (IGFA)
line wt. 130lb
length 6'
Model # X13072
Tip size 64ths 26
butt size 64ths 71
blank wt. 24 ozs
sugg retail $ 474.39

Hope this helps
Forgot to say it is listed as a stand up rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2013 08:49PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: May 17, 2013 08:51PM

Dennis, delete the stand up part, my eyes skipped to a different page. sorry for that.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 09:19PM

[www.facebook.com] Red Death Video
rod built by Raptor Rods

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 09:28PM

Hard Merchandise is using, Seeker Wicked Tuna Blanks, built by Sato Rods. Wicked Tuna Blanks are available from Merrick Tackle if you are interested.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster