I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap Instructions and Formulas
Posted by: Tony Scott (70.42.157.---)
Date: May 06, 2013 01:35PM

Can someone please recommend some sources of information on the different types of spiral wraps?

I have searched the board and found some discussions and lots of opinions, but looking for a step-by-step or formula on how to layout guides on a blank.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap Instructions and Formulas
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 02:29PM

Follow this link and order this CD, it has everything you're looking for.
[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 05:27PM

Thank you, Chad!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.181.---)
Date: May 06, 2013 07:21PM

Hi Tony,
If your looking at casting distance then have a serious look at the O'Quinn spiral. It has only got one direction change during casting and is my favoured spiral wrap for anything that needs to be cast.
I'll also vouch for the rodmaker cd. There is a mountain of reading and great info contained and it's well worth the cost.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2013 12:09AM

just curious when you are casting these spiral rods do they feel like casting a spinning rod? or does it still feel like a baitcaster?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2013 03:09AM

It feels like whatever reel you have attached to the seat.

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2013 08:16AM

Jon, the spirals I have built still feel like a casting rod and I can't tell the difference until I look down at my guides.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 07, 2013 12:14PM

In my opinion, it is all about perception.
I cannot feel a difference between "all on top" or "turnover" on a casting rod,
except when you put weight on the end of the line, the "turnover" is more stable.
The "all on top" may benefit from smaller guides, with no transition turning the line under,
but differences in distance are marginal, and there seems to be no loss of "feel".
In our area many Bass fishermen percieve the "turnover" as not casting as well,
but that does not seem to hold true in a real world test with identical reels, lines, and lures.
For trolling rods or whenever larger fish are encountured,
I feel that the "turnover" really makes a difference in handling the fish,
with much less strain on the rod or the fisherman..

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: May 07, 2013 01:24PM

Many thanks to you all who have responded. I appreciate it!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 07, 2013 02:54PM

I would rather fight the Fish and not The rod trying to keep it upright because of a strong fish on the line

Once the guides are put on the blank Static testing and Retrieving the line will tell you if any guides have to be moved i let the line and the reel tell me how the guides should be placed

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2013 06:17PM

col chaseling that o'quinn spiral is good for casting say 8oz of lead far too or it doesnt matter the weight?

tony scott which wrap have you decided to go with? and it made me happy when you said it feels like a baitcaster still cause im tearing down my bottom rod and will try the spiral wrap on it :)

Date: May 07, 2013 08:39PM

Hi Jon,
The weight shouldn't make any difference. When set up the line doesn't touch the first three guides, makes a direction change on the fourth and then all straight out to the tip when the rod is straight. I haven't done any numerical checks with an O'Quinn spiral versus others for distance but it works out ok for me. Could also be a "perception" thing but the logic of the O'Quinn spiral makes a lot of sense to me.
I've got quite a few rods set up with spiral wraps including a couple of baitcasters, one of which was a rebuild which casts the same as guides on top but is a lot more stable when under load.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Roman Chamine (162.119.232.---)
Date: May 07, 2013 08:54PM

Col, if you don't mind me asking, what offset angle do you end up with most often for the butt guide on your o'quinn spirals?

Date: May 07, 2013 10:14PM

Hi Roman,
It's not a lot say five to ten degrees depending on the reel. I like to keep the line just inside the butt guide when it is at the reel extremities.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 08, 2013 08:37AM

Jon and friends-

I want to try a spiral wrap, but I am throwing lures of 1/2 to 1 oz. which is not a lot.

Someone told me the spiral wrap was developed for heavier lure weights and the torque won't matter much at my weight range.

Any comments?

Thanks

Date: May 08, 2013 09:40AM

Hi Tony,
Lure weights don't create the torque that is noticeable. That comes when you are hooked up to a good fish, the heavier the drag setting the more torque which wants to get the line to the bottom of the rod. It's already there with a spiral wrap and the rod becomes more stable when loaded. Why do you think game rods have got a gimbal? To stop the rod from turning over under load with roller guides which are high off the blank and create even more torque. Obviously lighter rods don't have the same effect but its still there with guides on top.
A lot of guys don't like the look of a spiral wrap but it works better than guides on top. These days you'd have to pay me extra to build an overhead rod with guides on top.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2013 01:14PM

Here Here Col LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Scott (198.228.228.---)
Date: May 08, 2013 01:33PM

Thanks, Col. I am going Spiral.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2013 06:55AM

Tony;
I use spirals on everything from 1/8 oz. to 8 oz.
Below an 1/8 I usually use a spinning rod and don't throw anything above 8 ounces in bass fishing.

Col;
They can't pay me anything to build all on top. If insistent on that set up I provide them with the name of another builder to take care of their needs

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: May 13, 2013 12:26PM

Steve and Group -

Thanks very much for all your thoughtful replies.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster