I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For those weight conscious about reel seats
Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 03:26PM

Over the winter I installed Fuji SK2 split reel seats on 3 new casting rods and also retrofitted them on 8 of my older rods (replacing standard Fuji ECSM’s). Initially their lighter weight was appealing to me, but unfortunately, I’ve since determined that I don’t like the SK2’s (because of the way I grip the rods). It goes without saying that comfort trumps light weight. My other rods have Castaway reel seats (split) and I really like them, so I was going to remove the SK2’s and replace with Castaways. But since they’re no longer available, I set about to determine suitable alternatives. Of the 3 candidates I chose (Fuji TCSM, ECSM and PacBay Minima Split seat), the ECSM (split) was surprisingly the lightest. All the rods have now been retrofitted with the ECSM split seats and are much more satisfactory, comfort-wise……and also a bit lighter.

Reel seat weights are as follows:
Fuji SK2 Split Seat 17.1 g (.60 oz) (incl. “trigger”, thd’d barrel (shortened), lock nut, (2) arbors, (3) winding checks (WCS)
Fuji TCSM16 (standard) 29.5 g (1.04 oz)
Fuji TCSM16 (skeletonized) 19.3 g (.68 oz) (incl. “trigger”, thd’d barrel, lock not, (2) arbors, (2) winding checks (WCS)
Fuji ECSM11 (standard) 25.2 g (.89 oz)
Fuji ECSM11 (skeletonized) 15.6 g (.55 oz) (incl. “trigger”, thd’d barrel, lock nut, arbor, (2) winding checks (WCS)
Castaway (standard)27.2 g (.96 oz)
Castaway (skeletonized) 20.4 g (.72 oz) (incl. “trigger, thd’d barrel, lock nut)
PacBay Minima Split Seat (standard) 24.3 g (.86 oz) (incl. “trigger”, thd’d barrel, lock nut, arbor, (2) winding checks (WCS)
PacBay Minima Split Seat (skeletonized) 17 g (.60 oz) (incl. “trigger”, thd’d barrel (shortened), lock nut, arbor, (2) winding checks (WCS)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For those weight conscious about reel seats
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 03:46PM

Jim,

Thanks for sharing! Great info.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2013 12:36AM

Jim,
If you use 5 pieces of cork for a reel seat and handle, and 2 pieces of cork for a butt cap and use tape to tape the reel to the cork , the rod will have less weight yet.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: March 28, 2013 03:29AM

Jim
how long you shortened the barrel?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 28, 2013 07:18AM

Jim, can you comment on comfort? Given that we are talking 0.44 ounces, at most, I'm thinking going for comfort trumps going for weight. Is a difference of 10 grams something noticeable? Is it enough to be a deal breaker?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 28, 2013 08:47AM

Ernest,
I emailed you pictures of where the barrel is shortened.

Russ,
Not sure what kind of comment you want on "comfort". I already said that “comfort trumps weight”. As far as .44 oz. being noticeable……I guess it depends on what kind of rod we’re talking about. On a 6 or 7 ounce rod….probably not. Most of my med-heavy and heavy power bass rods weigh between 2 ½ and 3 ounces, so we’re talking a significant percentage of rod weight. Some folks spend considerable money on lightweight (magnesium) reels for the same reason. And yes, it’s a “deal-breaker” to me. Enough so that the inherent risk and labor of reworking the rods was worth the result….both in comfort and weight.

Posted by: David Hatten (---.242.227.216.ictxwavemedia.net)
Date: March 28, 2013 11:53AM

Thanks for the post. My customers are all conscious of weight, so I weigh absolutely everything before it goes into a build. I was completely suprised when I weighed several of the skeleton style seats as compared to an ECS and noticed no real advantage. I recommend the ECS for its comfort, and the fact that there just isn't very much weight savings to be gained, unless you're shooting for that magic 3 oz mark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster