I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first test casts
Posted by: steven leslie (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2013 09:02PM

Hello to all , great forum , lots of useful info , nice people. I finally assembled my 9 ft lami with the ngc. I went with a 40 to 25 to 16 to a size 8 runners and tip. Reel seat is at 22 inches. I assembled guides with rubber tubing so nothing is set yet. Anyway , I took it out for a test today and i averaged 70 yds. with 17 # mono and a 2 ounce plug. There doesn't seem to be any line slap and on the retrieve the line stays on the lower half of the guides. Are these distances typical for mono and that weight or am I short. I really did not lay into it yet - just a firm cast. Thanks again for the help and all the replies. Regards ,Stevereno

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first test casts
Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 12:06AM

Steven,

If you test cast with a 30mm and 25mm stripper guide, you may find one of them to be adequate. For myself, 30mm is the largest guide that is now used for my spinning rods 7' to 11'. There has been a lot of research recently which suggests the height of the stripper and its position in relation to the spool is more important than the diameter of its ring. You can read about that here. Much of the test casting should focus on the stripper size and location. If there was a 25mm which stood as high as a 30mm, this would be chosen over a 30mm for its savings in weight and cost.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 10:55AM

Steven the NGC calls for guide placement based on the height of the guide being positioned with it's top along the imaginary line from the spool axle to the choke point. In most cases this will result in line travel that uses more of the top half of the ring than the bottom half. If your line is sweeping the bottom of the ring on retrieve I wonder if perhaps some guides and/or sizes could be better fitted. Without more info it's hard to say, but it might be worth it to try a 30, 20, 12, 8 positioned closer in (choke point unmoved) to create more "top half" action in your rings. The 40 may get too close, but the 30 might fall in nicely.

Would others agree or am I missing something?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 03:42PM

i can understand that
That is why I tend to make my line path Into The Ring only cause gravady will pull the line down and it rubs on the ring edge Common scence ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: steven leslie (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 11:17PM

Thanks guys , I guess I should clarify a few things. The line sweep is on the part of the guide that is farthest from the blank. Since a spinning guide hangs down I was calling the outside edge the "lower half'. Sorry for the confusion. I chose the 40 based on the approx. half of the spool diameter which is 2.85 inches. I thought that I read that that was how it is done. I will try a 30 also. I achieved a good line path with the 40 . It is a light weight alconite. Any feedback on the approx. distances I should be getting would be appreciated. Thanks again for the kind replies. Regards , Stevereno

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 01:23AM by steven leslie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster