I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to get a matte finish on epoxy?
Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.346.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 04, 2013 02:14AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a customer who is looking at getting a range of rods built and he wants them to have a stealth look I have reel seats sorted but he wants a matte finish on his guide wraps, I remember years ago a hot rod guy told me an easy way to obtain a satin/matte finish in gloss to spray it with hair spay when it got to the tacky stage before it fully flashes off, I gave it a try and it doesn't really work maybe my wife had the wrong hairspray so a trip into the teen daughters room gave me two other options still not a great result it sort of fisheyes. The only other way I can think of is to get matte clear auto paint and spray the epoxy which may work but I thaught I throw it out there and see what comes back.

Any suggestions would be great. I have seen it done on the daiwa gen black rods so it must be doable.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to get a matte finish on epoxy?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 02:58AM

Have you looked at the flat finish additive you add to epoxy or urethane at the Klass Kote site?

Date: March 04, 2013 04:14AM

No I havent thanks for the tip.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 06:21AM

You might want to try this. Made matte finish on wodden grips by taking 4-000 steel wool and lightly rub finish. It will just take the luster off and not finish. Although it might be real difficult on small guides. Just a thought.

Date: March 04, 2013 06:58AM

Hi Bill,

They will be ultra light rods i tried scuffing but really wanted to get it more uniform.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 04, 2013 07:06AM

You might consider permaglos.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 10:32AM

As a follow up to the permaglos suggestion, only use 2 or 3 coats and leave the thread ridges showing a bit. this creates more of a matte look. You might consider adding some pigment to the finish, if he wants a matte look and you won't see the threads clearly anyway.

Let us know how this works out.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 11:30AM

check out Helsmen Spar urethain I beleve it has a satin clear

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 12:39PM

Mark,
I think that the 2nd answer is the best answer:

[answers.yahoo.com]

Basically, check with a paint store - home depot, sherwin williams or similar for a flatting agent to mix with the epoxy.

If you look in the bottom of a new can of semi gloss poly finish, you will see a layer of this sort of agent, that - when mixed up, causes the matte appearance.

You need to replicate this material in your finish.

As the post suggested - likely an untra fine silica material could be the right agent for you.
But do a bunch of testing first, on some old scrap blanks to get the right mix for your desired effect. If you do go this route, please save your notes, and material sources and share them with the rest of us.

Thanks much
Roger

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.housing.res.kent.edu)
Date: March 04, 2013 12:40PM

Mark,

I found out the hard way on my first build that if you wipe the finish with alcohol after it's no longer tacky but before it fully cures (~8-10 hours after applying), a glossy finish will become matte. It might not have quite the look you are going for, but might be worth an experiment.

Joe

Date: March 04, 2013 01:19PM

Mark,
I called Flex coat, west systems and min wax with respect to your request about flattening agents.
Flex coat - inquiries before - but no action on their part.
West Systems - no action on their part.
Min Wax - several products on hand for gloss, semi gloss and flat product. But their flattening agents are added at the factory and are not available for resale to the public.

However, I thought back to prior years, when I worked with epoxy on a different product and I think that the answer is Talc Powder.

Go to the drug store or equivalent and pick up a sprinkle box of Talc, or ladies face powder.

Then, do some experiments in mixing different quantities of Talc, or face powder with your top finish coat and see what quantity is required to obtain the required "stealth" look to your finish.
As you do these tests, obtain a measuring device, so that you can always add the exact same quantity of talc, or face powder to your standard volume of guide finish so that you will have repeatable results. I am guessing that the required quantities will be small, so you need a tiny spoon, or similar measuring device to get the repeatable results.

When complete, please share your results with us.

p.s.
Your rods will have a nice smell if you use ladies face powder as well !! --
Just kidding - the quantity of powder used will be so small that there will be 0 smell added to the rod.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 01:25PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 02:34PM

If using something like talc, you may want to just do this as a finish/top coat. The talc will slightly thicken the epoxy and may not allow it to penetrate the thread. I'm only guessing...so if you're concerned, you may want to do a test wrap to find out. In boat building you can add a certain amount of solid thickeners and it still flows through glass, but too much and you're in trouble. But if you just use it to get a matte top coat, that may work great. Do some test wraps and let us know!

Date: March 04, 2013 03:27PM

i have used the Klass Kote materials
And found them to be EXcellant Very similar to auto finish

Not any of the flatting agents though But they should have Small Containers to try

You have to experiment

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 04, 2013 04:04PM

Jay,
I mentioned the idea that the flat coat should only be in the final coat - NOT the initial coat for the very reason that you mention.
The same thing was said by the finish manufacturers as well.

Roger

Date: March 04, 2013 05:14PM

If the guy wants the rod -- ( whole rod ) to to flat then add the flatener to the finish and do the complet rod

bamBoo makers use th Helsman urethain and dribble it over the completed rod ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 05:30PM

`Testors` has a product called `Dull Coat`. It is a flat Laquer over coat #1260. This may work for you.

Bill

No promises

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: March 04, 2013 05:53PM

UL rods
if you can find any ( bare graphite ) that has NO finish on would be better They are kind of Dull looking
or strip any you get to bare graphite Then hit them with 0000 steel wool makes a flat surface
Then just dull out the thread finish

No finish on the blank ( bare ) will be lighter And then a dull finish on the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 05:59PM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 04, 2013 06:42PM

I think the original post was a chemical way to put on a thread finish and have the thread finish come out with a flat appearance, with out mechanical abrasion.

Roger

Date: March 04, 2013 08:58PM

Wow such great info guys i will give everything a try and get bavk with the results once i get it right ill do a video on the process and stick it up on my sight.

The blanks will be bushidos bare graphite Im really enjoying building with these blanks they perform very will.

Thanks for all the detailed responses you guys are very forthcomming with assistance it is appreciated.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com

Date: March 05, 2013 12:51AM

Mark,
If things work out for you, please take some pictures and post them, so that we can all share your results.
Thanks much

Roger

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster