I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hydra introduces rod blanks featuring SFD
Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 10:49PM

Hydra Fishing introduces rod blanks featuring innovative Scrimless Fiber Design

(Aiken, SC) Hydra Fishing, LLC introduces Scrimless Fiber Design (SFD) to reduce energy robbing materials used in rod blank construction and push fishing rod performance to the highest levels demanded by today’s top anglers.

SFD represents a new approach to rod blank design and construction by eliminating the use of a fiberglass or carbon paper scrim. By not utilizing the customary fiberglass and/or carbon paper scrim traditionally used in rod blanks, blanks featuring SFD are void of these vibration dampening lower modulus materials. This provides a platform for crisp vibration transmission and increased blank responsiveness. High quality linear carbon fiber cloth that is up to 29% thinner and 9% lighter than traditional materials is paired with an exact resin matrix mix to create a durable composite that after high pressure rolling is 4% tighter than previous designs. Hoop strength is maintained through our proven proprietary design that ensures rods won’t fail during an epic fish fight. Rod blanks built using SFD have higher final average modulus ratings and are some of the lightest, most sensitive and durable blanks available today.

SFD is the result of a multi-year collaboration between Hydra and Rebrod, Inc of Flippin, AR. SFD is immediately available through Hydra NG Series rod blanks which are manufactured in the USA at Rebrod’s Arkansas factory. Blanks feature an ultra thin matte finish for protection and neutral appearance. Models are available in a host of over 80 popular actions, powers and lengths.

Hydra NG Series rod blanks are available from Merrick Tackle and Bingham Enterprises and directly from Hydra. Blanks are available for both custom rod builders and private label construction.

For more information, please contact Hydra at 803.645.5392. More information will be avvailable at booths 404,406 at the ICRBE.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hydra introduces rod blanks featuring SFD
Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 02:35PM

Will these blanks have Common Cents measurements?

Date: February 20, 2013 04:56PM

Richard - If someone would like to volunteer the time and services, we'd be happy to let them be mesasured. We don't feel well versed enough in the program to do it ourselves.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 06:26PM

Thank you - that is a generous offer that would help us better assess these blanks. I cannot claim to be well enough versed to do those measurements, either.

For consideration by rhe Forum - is there interest in performing and sharing these measurements? Would we go to Aiken, SC or "borrow" blanks via shipping and return them once measured?

Posted by: Jim Peart (---.nexicom.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 06:45PM

IMHO - The press release got my interest, in spite of some of the rhetoric, and I went to their website... Doesn't exist yet! Hate to be negative, these might be the "next big thing" but I'll wait & see. I hope their products get to the show. Have fun everybody!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 07:35PM

Jim Peart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMHO - The press release got my interest, in spite
> of some of the rhetoric, and I went to their
> website... Doesn't exist yet! Hate to be
> negative, these might be the "next big thing" but
> I'll wait & see. I hope their products get to the
> show. Have fun everybody!

The website has been up and running for a long time. It is undergoing an update, that's all. I have been purchasing blanks from Alex for the last couple of years ... good stuff for sure. Best of all, his blanks are US made products.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 08:06PM

Jim,

What would you compare them to that is currently available? I am realy looking forward to seeing these this weekend. I have a feeling there will be a couple or more coming home with me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2013 08:33PM

I'd be happy to take the measurements. Perhaps Alex and I can discuss it at the Expo. It's not hard nor time consuming to do and I have a nice fixture for doing it precisely.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 08:49PM

Nothing exactly, but definitely on the field with NFC and St Croix - my other two favorites. They are unfinished, very strong, highly responsive blanks.

I am a "Made in the USA" buyer whenever possible - and these match that criteria as well. The customer service is outstanding, which always earns "bonus points" in my book.

My advice is to visit Alex and Company at the show. If that's not possible, buy one or two of his blanks.

Based on my experience - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 08:49PM by Jim Gamble.

Date: February 20, 2013 09:02PM

Website - Honestly it's been an absolute bear and I apologize for it not being live yet. We had to move servers and lost the old site. So we're taking our time to make sure our information is presented correctly. We have a bunch of new products coming - blanks, guide models, grips, etc. I just ask for your patience and know it's coming. We won't have everything for the show, but I can show you some neat stuff like our Interchange Grip System - something that will give custom builders a lot of flexibility for their $. It was so simple to do, but no one else has ever offered it (that we know of).

CCS - Tom - I'm sure we'll talk at some point.

Scrimless - The Hydra NGs are 100% scrimless. Others do use "some" scrimless material. I will have actual samples of prepeg with me showing the material we're using compared to scrimmed material. It doesn't take but one look to see a very large difference.

ALSO - At the reception, we're donating 10 brand new Kigan ZH guide sets - 8 guides + tip. You will be one of the first 11 people in the USA to have a set!!! (we were first... sorry).

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 10:08PM

Alex look forward to seeing ya this weekend

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2013 08:23AM

I'm curious about a stated benefit of this blank: " . . . blanks featuring SFD are void of these vibration dampening lower modulus materials." For years I have read that vibration dampening in a blank is a desirable thing. Are some vibrations good and others bad?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster