I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bt1083m
Posted by: william spirito (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 01:11PM

i am in the process of building my first rod so i have nube questions will be putting a vs150 braided line on it wrapped spinning just getting confused with all the guid choices an the spacing /number of guids looking for a lay out that works an will stattic test/tweek as needed i will be fishing from shore rhode island breachways an rocky shoreline an in ct rivers also what # reel seat should i get thanks in advance their is so much to learn an im getting a bit overwelmed just trying to get the basics down

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bt1083m
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.19.---)
Date: December 24, 2012 05:40PM

Hi William,
Take it easy, it's not rocket science. Set the handle and reelseat up so that it suits your physical attributes and prefences ie a reelseat that suits your hand size, blank and reel feet, grips made out of what you prefer, cork or eva, made of a size that suits your method and style. There are some great articles in the library on guide set up and you won't be disappointed. Guide choice is mainly a matter of preference but it needs to suit the line size you use ie stronger line needs a more substantial frame. See the post on SiC v alconite a bit further down. Most rings will handle the lines available today. After you select the bits you want and like you need to put it together correctly using good quality adhesives . There is plenty of info on all that here so do a search. See if you can find a builder in your area as that is invaluable when you are beginning and can help taking a lot of the guesswork out of it. You will quickly get better as you go, good luck with the first one.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 07:03PM

You can also compare

Google up -- tackle for such a fish ( insert type of fish ) And even where you want to fish
You will come up with a lot of info on size of rod Action lures used Good starting point

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2012 09:45AM

William,
If you look up Batson rods - they have excellent setup numbers for a new rod - which work very well for a starting point:

And Batson U - to help folks that are just starting:
[www.batsonuniversity.com]

Here are some examples of various rod setup - products, measurements etc.

[www.batsonuniversity.com]

If you have further questions, the folks at Batson are always willing to help in prouct setup. '

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 25, 2012 12:07PM

William,
The VS 150 fits seats as small as 18mm.
I suggest you use a 20mm reel seat.
If you ever change to a VS200 size reel it won't fit anything less than 20mm.

I prefer the Fuji DPS style reel seats for surf spinners as well as Alconite guides.
They're both reasonably priced and excellent for this purpose.

Posted by: william spirito (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2012 12:11PM

thanks for everyons help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster