I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing
Posted by: capt.gary (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2001 10:58PM

I just bought a lami. model number GBT841L
I don't know if i want to leave it at 7' or trim it to 6.6'
any help would be nice.
I'm looking for measurements on either one.
I have a basic idea but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 28, 2001 12:16AM

Hi Gary.

Bring the rod over and we can static deflect it. This way you can set it up just the way YOU want.

Folks. static deflection is very easy to do. Learn how to do it and you won't need to rely on others info.

Get a copy of Clemens Custom Tackle catalog if you don't have a rod building book. On page 5 there is a very good description on guide spacing and pictures are included.

Give it a try and you will become a better rod builder

Capt Neil

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 28, 2001 08:34AM

In the volume 4 #6 issue of RodMaker we will have a full article on the Equal-Angle spacing tool and system which Don Morton has figured out. By using the Plexiglass Grid Tool (PGT) in conjunction with a basic understanding of the system, you can locate the guides on any blank in a matter of just a few minutes. And best of all, this system does take into account the specific action/taper of the blank!

In some ways, it is so good, it may replace every other spacing method currently in use. It is accurate and fast. And it is just as fast and so much better than using spacing charts.

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: October 28, 2001 09:43AM

Where can one buy the Plexiglas Guide Spacer?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 28, 2001 09:54AM

It will be available commercially within another month or so. The magazine will have instructions for making your own. It is very simple. But it won't do you much good without the "how-to" of the system, and while the system is really fairly simple, it takes a long article to explain it. I think I have set aside almost 8 pages for the article and photos.

tom
Posted by: matt (---.cbtri.com)
Date: October 29, 2001 11:15AM

how can i subscribe to this magazine?

Here's how
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: October 29, 2001 11:19AM

Use the RodMaker link on the top left hand side of the page and just follow the site links to the subscription page. Normally all new subscribers can expect to see their first issue mailed within 24 hours. I will mail the current issue as soon as your order reaches the office. Thanks.

Re: Here's how
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2001 11:29AM

Matt Two points the magazine is outstanding worth every penny and more.second Don's system works very well,even he is surprised at how much you can accomplish when using it as Tom said can be a little confussing at first but if you put the effort into learning how to use it,you will find the rewards are many and you can acheive much better performance then you did previously.

by performance you mean...
Posted by: matt (---.cbtri.com)
Date: October 29, 2001 01:12PM

better accuracy, better distance? i'm still very new at this )haven't even built my first rod yet) and i'm trying to gather all the info i can get. this sounds like a good system. you don't have to go by the manufacturers specs, which are probably different across the board right? no spacing charts etc. plus this system works better to boot? is that correct or am i out of bounds?

matt: newbie who will take all the help he can get.

Re: by performance you mean...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: October 29, 2001 04:58PM

Matt,

Don's system is a means of plotting guide location via a grid with intersect lines. This system takes into account the action of each blank, which standardized charts do not. I wish I could detail it here, but while it is fairly simple, it takes a lot of words to explain. Several pages worth.

In the meantime, the July/August 2000 issue of RodMaker has what I think is a really good article on using the New Guide concept on a spinning rod. It is also fast and easy. Results are great.

By performance, we typically mean more distance/accuracy, smoother casting and retrieving, and if possible, less weight for less fatigue on the angler.

Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: October 30, 2001 10:28AM

Tom, I understand you don't want to go into this new guide placement tool any further but how different is it from the peg board article on guide placement in previous RodMaker ?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: October 30, 2001 10:36AM

Actually the concept is nearly identical, but Don's system takes up less room and once your initial grid lines are plotted there is no math involved. Not that there is a lot of math involved in the other system, but there is at least some for each rod to be set up. With Don's system you just line up the blank against the grid and plot your spacing. Set your butt or stripping guides and go. It's simple, but sort of hard to explain in words. There is some background info you need to understand before you can use it properly.

It's not that I don't want to go into Don's system here, it's that there is just not enough room and no way to fully explain it without photographs. The magazine has a great advantage when it comes to explaining such things.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2001 11:02AM

Put another way Don spent over 1 hour explaning his guide placement theory for fly rods alone at the last rodcrafter seminar, can't wait to see the magazine article.

Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: November 02, 2001 10:30PM

Saw Don's PGT at the FFF Conclave in Mtn. Home, Ark the first weekend in October. Neat little setup, and way too easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster