I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Application in Cold Temps
Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2001 11:21AM

Hello All

I know epoxies will cure faster when warm and slower when cold. But for those of us in the chilly north that work in our garage, is there any reasonably low temperature where the epoxy will not cure, or take essentially forever to do so? I am primarily concerned with the slower curing types like rod finish, which don't seem to get noticeably warm while curing. I am concerned primarily in the 50-60 degree F range. I don't think my garage ever freezes, but it does get chilly. I keep my epoxies and other solutions inside the house so they don't crystallize.

Thanks
-Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Application in Cold Temps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 27, 2001 02:37PM

I have spoken with many rod builders in similar situations to yours. What I have learned from them is that when you start to get down into the 40F range your finish will take what seems like forever to set up! Go much lower and you reach a point where it seems it will never set. Of course, as soon as you move the rod into an area that is considerably warmer the finish will set up in short order.

You will also find that most of the rod wrapping epoxies we are dealing with become very thick, stiff and hard to manage at colder temperatures.

So how is the 50F to 60F range? It may take about twice as long as normal to tack up and maybe a few extra days to cure. As I continue to say, if you are comfortable, your finish will be too. I'd try to keep things as close as I could to that 60F figure and you should fare a bit better.

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: October 27, 2001 09:08PM

I worked out of my garage last winter and even here in Texas the temp dropped low enough that I needed a space heater to work out there. Fearing my Flex Coat wouldn't set up correctly, I when to the local Home depot and bought 2 light flood light fixtures, the kind that hold 2 flood light each. I mounted them on an 8' long 1X6. I had the whole thing setting on 2 blocks behind my turner and after I applied the finish I turned 'em on and let 'em shine on the rod till morning. Came out with a great finish and it was set by the morning.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.121.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 28, 2001 09:56AM

Take Lee's suggestion a little further and build a drying box. Less wattage needed and less time to dry.

Posted by: tunawolf (---.tnt3.flagstaff.az.da.uu.net)
Date: December 02, 2001 01:51AM

What kind of box? How do you build it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster