I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing and size for TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr
Posted by: Mike Sloan (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 02:07PM

I just want to get an opionion from you guys I have the TFO guide sugestions I was wanting to build this with all the same size guides if that is a good Idea after the stripper. or at least as many of the same size as posable and I want to keep the guides small. I was going to use the REC single foot guides and top. this is the TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr TFT908 so 9ft 4pcs 8wt I will use it in salt water redfish mostly. I would appericiate anyones Ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 02:07PM by Mike Sloan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing and size for TFO Lefty Kreh TiCr
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2012 02:25PM

You can move from the stripper to the same size guides the rest of the way out, although most would install just one guide, in-between size of the stripper and the running guides.

The advantage of using just a few sizes is a straighter line path and less overall weight.

Date: November 23, 2012 06:33PM

Thanks Tom what would be the smallest I should go with an 8 wt can I do #2 or #3

Date: November 23, 2012 06:57PM

That depends on the line and more importantly, what connections you have to pass. Loop to loop? Nail knot? I can't really say how small you should go. Something you'll have to decide for yourself. What is on the rod you're using now? Are the guides on it passing your line and connections okay?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 07:23PM

Every rod I have ever built had graduated guides for the first four from the butt, depending on the rod, ie. fly, spin, casting, etc. to me it works well and is more of a funnel effect for the line so that it flows freely. I may be wrong and haven't used some of the new guides out there. I haven't bought any new guides since 1990. I think the principle would still be the same though. I am looking forward to trying some of the new micro-wave guides and compare them on the same rod blank as the guides I still have from way back when! :>)

Date: November 23, 2012 07:27PM

Well thanks I will just use #3s. Anyone have some ideas for the spacing I will probably just use the TFO chart for starters and see how that looks under load.

Date: November 23, 2012 08:09PM

Actually, if you run a straight edge through a set of 4 decreasing sized guides, you'll find that what you have is more of a set of stairs. We detailed this in a past issue of the magazine. You can see it here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Simply moving down quickly in size and using all the same size running guides is the set that provides the funnel effect.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: November 24, 2012 11:01AM

I have built more 8wt rods than any other fly rod. REC#3s will work perfectly as runners. If you were using the snakes than even #2s would work.

For your strippers, consider the Fuji titanium KTWAG guides (size 16,12) and a TFAT top in size 8. This makes for a super nice rod with no corrosion ever in the guide train. The ceramic insert top is superior in every way to a wire tip-top and highly recommended.

All the spacing schemes work pretty well, but if you are new, the St Croix chart is almost perfect.

Drew

Posted by: Mike Sloan (---.static.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: November 24, 2012 06:55PM

Thanks Drew you read my mind on the Fuji titanium KTWAG guides as stripper. I'll look into that top it sounds like a good idea.

Date: November 28, 2012 10:30PM

Ok I now have a nother question about this rod(Temple Fork 8wt. 9' 4pc TiCr Blank) I just opened the package from the Hole and this blank was supposed to be black and it is but some of the tips on the pieces are grey like they sloppily forgot to paint them. now I can under stand on the female pieces it wouldn'r mater cause I will wrap over them but the mail ends are grey past where the female piece will over lap so the grey part will show. Am I missing something here this is the first 4 pcs salt water rod I have built.

Posted by: Mike Sloan (---.static.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 11:32PM

After checking with TFO they told me the male parts of the ferrule are coated differently and that it will show but as time when the rod ferrule stretches it will cover al of the grey area. that it was supposed to be that way??? oh well I'll just build it what do I care. but this seems logical enough to me the rod looks great other wise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster