I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

decals and finish contamination / Sulky metallic thread review
Posted by: Jim Kinkennon (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 03:38PM

My first attempt at adding decals to a decorative thread wrap has encountered a problem. Either the decals were contaminated, or I contaminated the area of application. The finish has 'fish-eyed' in the area of the decals. The rod is rotating while the marred finish dries. I've reviewed the topic. I have some acetone, and understand that it is not a good idea to try to use a solvent to clean the area. I couldn't locate any appropriate Scotch-Brite abrasive, so I acquired some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. My tentative plan is to lightly sand the defective area after it has dried about a day. Then I'll wipe it off and apply another coat of finish. Is there truly nothing I could use to wash off the contaminants? I hate to sand, because I don't wish to sand the surface of the decal, which partly refused to accept finish. Any appropriate advice would be greatly appreciated.

By way of thanks, I'd like to share my experience with Sulky Metallic White (142 7021) Thread. I wrapped a double diamond decorative wrap in nylon using the aforementioned white and FishHawk regular nylon navy (066). When the epoxy finish hit the wrap, the blue and white were bright and clear over the white blank. The white thread picked up a beautiful pale, translucent blue-green color where it crossed over the navy colored thread. I'd encourage anyone interested to test or experiment with wrapping the white metallic over colored regular nylon thread, using no color preserver. I posted a pic of the wrap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 04:20PM by Jim Kinkennon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: decals and finish contamination / Sulky metallic thread review
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.114.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: November 14, 2012 05:58PM

Jim, If you think you can very lightly scuff the surface without damaging the decal then go a head. Then wipe the area with a paper towel moistened with distilled water (no solvents) dry off, remove dust particles with the sticky side of a piece of masking tape, then apply another coat of finish. If you don't wish to scuff the surface, then just clean the area as instructed, this has worked for me with contamaniation issues whether i have scuffed or not.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 06:07PM by Steve Mcleod.

Date: November 14, 2012 08:08PM

Thanks very much. I'll try the distilled water, and see if that won't do it.

Posted by: Pierre SOUPLET (---.w2-11.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 14, 2012 09:22PM

Hi Jim,
did you use home made decals?
Because in this case, maybe the varnish you sprayed to fix the colours isn't recommended with your finish?

Date: November 14, 2012 10:08PM

These are store bought (Mud Hole). I have no reason to believe there's a thing wrong with them. I might have gotten something on them by handling them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster