I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

waves in finish
Posted by: dan (---.tnt14.tco2.da.uu.net)
Date: October 26, 2001 09:25PM

Using LS Supreme, the guide wraps always look so picture perfect, but on extended butt wraps and lettering where I'm covering a longer portion (4-6"), I get waves (high and low). How can I level these?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: waves in finish
Posted by: Mike B. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2001 09:38PM

To level it now you'd have to use a sanding block to knock it down level and then recoat. You either put on too much or didn't rotate it fast enough when drying. Comments on this board in the recent past tell me that you need to spin the rod at about 40 rpm's when drying it. The common 6 or 18 rpm's aren't cutting it on the Supreme. Could be that faster was better all along.

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: October 26, 2001 09:47PM

I've had the same problem in the past. I've started applying the LS lenthways of the butt wrap and over the inscription. give a much smoother finish at 6 RPM.

Posted by: WISHBONE (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2001 09:51PM

TOO MUCH FINISH !!!!!! NO PROBLEM AT 22 R.P.M.'s. LENGHT WAYS ONLY.....MAYBE TWO OR THREE COATS. LS SUPREME IS THE BEST FINISH MADE. ( IN MY OWN OPINION.)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 27, 2001 01:23AM

I would not sand. I would lightlly scrap the finish with a razar blade, then give it a heavy coat then leval out the excess finish.
Good luck..Bob

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2001 09:42AM

Try heating the resin before mixing in a microwave oven for 10 seconds. Warm temperature 75 to 80 room temperature helps to keep the epoxy flowing smoothly. I use a camel brush cut short (about 1/8 to 3/16 inch.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: October 27, 2001 04:16PM

the most common reason I have seen for waves is not brushing the finish lengthwise after it is applied. you can apply the finish anyway you like, as long as you get a fairly even coat, then let it sit a minute or 2 while rotating, then brush from one end to the other, I usually brush towards th grip, because then you can let a little pile up on the winding check, if you like, just brush back the other way to smooth it out.

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: October 29, 2001 11:49AM

Are you brushing it while it is rotating?, or stop and brush along the axis? I too have had some difficulties with LS doing this. I tend to lean toward the too much applied at a time theory. I never had this happen with Crystal Coat and it is much thinner, so heavy application may be my reason. But trying to brush lengthwise while rotating still gave me waves.
Elrod

Posted by: Dave (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 04:03PM

As a begginer I suffered this exact problem on my first rod. I have a 12 RPM motor for drying. I used Flex coat light formula but found that its working time was very limited. I went to a new coating called Super Coat and this completely eliminated that problem. Two coats of this stuff and it is smooth and glasslike, perfect. I found this stuff at Gregs custom rod building. They are on the net and very helpful. One note with Super Coat though is it seems to need at least 4 to 6 hours of turning as opposed to 2 hours with flexcoat. I personally feel the tradeoff is well worth it. Bubbles are present but heating the mixture with a my wife's hair dryer for a minute takes care of this problem. If a few bubbles are still in the coating on the wrap I usually quickly pass a cigarette lighter over the coating and say goodbye to the bubbles. Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster