I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ADG tITANIUM FLY RODS
Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-228-183.myvzw.com)
Date: August 09, 2012 09:48AM

Do any of you have knowledge of these fly rods/blanks. I just had never heard of them and did a little checking. I talked to the owner, David Ahn. Says he is a Physics Scientist and developed these rods and has been selling them for 14 years. Obviously, he is very high on them and extols their positive aspects. The concept sounds good, but I admit I know nothing about them and have no other independent opinions on them. He told me he has patented the process and the major dealers won't handle them as they want the rights, or at least that's the way I understood him. Mainly curious for any input on this. If they are as good as he said I would like to build one for Steelheading. The blanks run around $275.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ADG tITANIUM FLY RODS
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2012 09:50AM

The dealers do not have any interest in obtaining the design or manufacturing rights to his rods. They're not in the manufacturing business, they're in the sales business.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 11:04AM

If Mr. Ahn's titanium rod blanks displayed exceptional qualities and performance during the 14 years he has been selling them it would be remarkable that fly fishermen kept this information a virtual secret for 14 years.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: August 09, 2012 11:57AM

Ask him what country these are made in. $275 should get you a near top of the line blank from a US manufacturer. My guess is that he is selling a graphite $80 import blank at a premium price and calling it titanium because it sounds sexy.

But I agree with Phil. In 14 years these would be mainstream if they were truly exceptional.

Just because he's a "physics scientist" doesn't mean anything. I took physics in college too.

Drew

PS: I found this gem on their overhyped, short on specifics website:

ADG® is dedicated to and has contributed to, the improvement of the fly-fishing industry over the decades. ADG® Titanium Fly Rods and other innovative products are designed, engineered, and distributed from our location in Denver, Colorado.

These are imports. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware you could do better for much less.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2012 01:16PM

He has a titanium wire ribbon in the blank. Perhaps the idea is to increase hoop strength, but I think better means are at hand for that.

In short, it wouldn't be fair to say his product isn't good - he couldn't stay in business selling them for this long if that was the case. Obviously his rods have their fans. But, it seems reasonable that after 14 years it's not the second coming of the fly rod.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-197.myvzw.com)
Date: August 09, 2012 01:20PM

Thanks for the input. Like I said, I was just checking this out and it surprised me that in 20 yrs of building I had not heard of them. I certainly had/have my suspicions and figured I have this great resource of builders to draw on (I not blowing smoke at you) and figured there had to be some input on this. I long ago learned I can build a quality rod from a top notch company without having to spend a fortune and give a product that will perform as well or nearly as well based on the customers experience or needs. I do appreciate the input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster