I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6' fly rod blank
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (207.109.215.---)
Date: October 25, 2001 12:04PM

I have a freind that wants a 6' 3wt fly rod. He cast a 6' St. Croix SCIII that I built for another freind and says that he would like one with a bit faster action (stiffer is the word he used). Whats out their that might fit the bill.

Thanks Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6' fly rod blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 01:44PM

Action is flex profile, "stiffer" is power. The two are not the same. So what he wants is likely a 4 weight, which is exactly what a "stiffer" 3 weight would be!

There may be a few 6' 4-weight fly blanks around, but you may have to move to a spinning or casting blank rated for about 1/8th to 1/4 ounces and use that. I have done this on occasion and it will work fine.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 10:16PM

Assuming that it is designed around the criteria that makes a rod a 3 weight then a stiffer 3 weight would indeed be a 4 wgt. rod! I get it!

I have also used spinning blanks to make short fly rods. They work fine and don't cost nearly as much as most fly blanks in the same length. I'd get the 16th to 1/8 rating for a 3 wgt. if it was me though. I would guess they guy is using it on very small streams with short casts so the lighter weight range might load easier for him. Then again just let him feel a couple and pick out what he wants.

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: October 26, 2001 10:31AM

Tom, I'm not so sure I can agree with the assumption that by asking for a stiffer 3wt, the fella really wants a 4wt. I don't think a person who asks for a "stiffer" rod is necessarily asking for anything other than a different flex profile, just using terminology that makes sense. In my hands at least, rods don't feel "fast" or "slow", they feel "stiff" or "soft". A fast action rod feels stiff. A slow action rod feels soft. Garbled terminology? Maybe, but I believe that's how most anglers who aren't rodbuilders think about things.

If someone came to me and said "I have a Winston IM6 5wt, but I'd like to swap it for something stiffer. What do you suggest?", I don't think suggesting the same model rod in a 6wt would be the right answer. They would probably rather have a "stiffer" 5wt, like a Sage XP or some other fast action rod.

Anyway, terminology such as this is an inexact science at best. I just don't know if suggesting to Jim that he build a 6' 4wt for his buddy is the right solution in this case, especially if he plans to use a 3wt line.

Bob

Date: October 26, 2001 11:10AM

If your customer is truly asking for a stiffer rod, then he's asking for a stiffer rod, which in this case would be a 4 weight. In the original post the fellow mentioned that while he used the term action, he really meant stiffness. That's what I was going on.

But I certainly agree that stiffness is sometimes judged by feel and one with a different action might "feel" stiffer to the user, even if it was technically the same. Example would be two 3 weight rods, one graphite and one bamboo. They feel different due to the different masses involved and the rate of recovery, but the stiffness is the same.

Date: October 26, 2001 12:06PM

The message I'm getting is that I better find out just exactly what the fellow wants. If he wants a faster action than the St. Croix any Ideas?
If he really wants a 4wt. any Ideas. If I used an Ultra-Light spinning blank rated for 1-4 lbs. line and 1/32 -1/4 oz. lures, what wt. line would that translate to? I'm asking about the UL just to give me a reference point.

Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: October 26, 2001 12:24PM

That blank wil translate roughly into a 3 or 4 weight. It could be what you are after. Obviously, this fellow is going by how the blank/rod feels. So you are probably going to be better off letting him flail a few around.

Date: October 26, 2001 12:50PM

Tom the reason I asked is that I have quite a few UL blanks and could make one up and let him try it? I will take your advise.

Date: October 26, 2001 03:05PM

I think that's going to be your best bet. But instead of actually putting it together, permanently, why not affix the seat and a grip on some snug tape bushings and tape the guides on. That way you won't be stuck if he doesn't like a particular one. He can still cast it and feel it, but you're not locked in.

Posted by: tom drury (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2001 08:10PM

I just finished a 3wt and a 4wt in 5' from Rainshadow. In both cases I must move up one line size when casting on a small tight creek. Also dt and wf line makes a difference. There are so many variables that should be taken into account that without the fellow casting different rodswith different lines, it would be hard to pick a blank.
I watch people case fly rods in the yard and then on the stream, the set up will not work.

line size
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2001 08:15PM

Yes you should have to move up as they are designed to cast about 30 feet of the rated line, so if you are not keeping that much past the tip you have to move up a line size to get the necessary amount of weight out there on a shorter line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster