I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Curious
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 11:39AM

I was wondering what the preferred "glue" was for doing up cork grips. I think Titebond II is easy to use and eliminates glue lines. I have tried Rod Bond but always feel like Brer Rabbit in the tar pit. I know others use Flex Coat. Just curious if there is a reason for choosing one over another or is it a matter of personal preference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curious
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: October 25, 2001 11:43AM

I use Rod Bond. Like the consistency and helps a clutz like me from dripping it everywhere and getting all over my wifes breakfast table. Haven't tried any others due to the fact haven't seen a need to.
Elrod

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 01:28PM

All the adhesives and glues (There is a difference between a glue and an adhesive insofar as the origin is concerned. I just add that to stave off the inevitable questions.) which you mention will work fine. Some rod builders feel they can get a thinner glue line with one type or another, although I have found all leave very little glue line if you clamp them properly.

There are some particulars for using each type and I won't go into all of them here. Other than to say that you need to make sure you thouroughly cover all mating surfaces with your bonding agent. (In the case of Rod Bond it is suggested you coat the surfaces and then use something like a popsicle stick to scrape off any excess - Ralph can explain).

Personally I use the good old Flex Coat Rod Builder's Epoxy because it works well and I have plenty of it. It has never failed me. I know of people who use Titebond II and claim excellent results with that also. Rod Bond works just fine. Some have used one of the polyurethane glues with good results as well. k My only suggestion as to what you might try would be to use whatever is easiest. I'm sure there are glues or adhesives that wouldn't work well in this particular application, and if you look hard enough you might find one or two. But if you stick with the stuff that most of us are currently using, you can't go too wrong. Luckily for us, cork is a pretty easy material to bond.

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 05:07PM

Weldwood Plastic Resin glue is graet for coek ring gluing.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 08:43PM

I too use Flex Coat Rod Epoxy. It works well for me and Roger Seiders of Flex Coat took a lot of his time to teach me rod building when I was first starting out. It's something I will never forget.

Posted by: Jason Weber (---.ip.granderiver.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 09:29PM

I also use the Flex Coat Rod Builders epoxy. Never had any problems and very easy to use.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 26, 2001 03:35AM

I personely like the bond and workability I get with rod bond. Also it is forgiving when it comes to mixing. I also enjoy using other U40 products and they have a great custermer servce.Usally you can talk to Ralph Oquin about any problem you may occure. In the past when I thought it was the product it turned out to be me, but Ralph helped me out of my problem.
Keep tight line ..Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster