I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alternating Finishes
Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: October 25, 2001 10:34AM

I'm consistently alternating between Flex Coat and LS Supreme because both have qualities I like, although I've never mixed them on the same rod. I just ran out of LS and have a final coat to go on a butt wrap. Is there a problem applying a final coat of Flex coat over an LS Supreme base? I don't see that it will make a difference--I've scuffed the LS base to ensure adhesion. Anyone ever do this and have poor results?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternating Finishes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 11:28AM

The two brands of epoxies should not react with one another, if that is your question.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 12:20PM

there is an article in an old rodcrafters journal about doing this, I think it said to wait 36hours at least between coat, and it was the older LS finish

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: October 25, 2001 12:56PM

This is how I've been applying my epoxy, substituting Classic Coat for Flex Coat. No problems here.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 25, 2001 01:34PM

I understand that you might have to do this in a pinch, but there is something else to consider. Now don't get me wrong, I like Flex Coat and have used it on thousands of rods with great results. But on lighter colored blanks or threads, it has a tendency to slightly yellow or turn brown. The Supreme does not appear to do this. However, once you put the FC over the Supreme, the discoloration problem confronts you.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the bad properties of one finish will cancel out the good properties of another. In other words, what you are going to have are the worst properties of both, rather than the best properties of either. If that's not a concern to you, then by all means use what you have.

Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: October 25, 2001 06:48PM

Thanks for the feedback. Good point Tom. I knew LS was a clearer finish, and I haven't been building long enough to see how each hold up over time. I assume LS Supreme stays clear despite the elements--I trust Ralph's chemistry.

The only downside to LS for me is that I get a bumpy final finish occasionally, especially over labels and decorative wraps. It's something I've seen brought up and refuted plenty on this site so no need to open that can of worms again. It's probably a leveling problem on my part--or possibly the spray laquer I use over my signature reacting poorly. I could also be too slow in my touch ups. Fifteen minutes after application I'm still sometimes touching up with my brush and spatula. I'm a perfectionist and can't leave well enough alone. I always get it right eventually though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster